[mpas-developers] update on date/time manager

Jones, Philip W pwjones at lanl.gov
Tue Jun 7 14:55:14 MDT 2011

Michael,

Just a couple quick comments:

> A couple of small items came up while writing code that I think we might
> like to change in our design document. In the methods for setting and
> getting time intervals, I think the year (YYYY) and month (MM) arguments
> don't make sense (if I set an interval of one month, how many days are
        > in that month?);

We often do monthly or annual diagnostics (monthly/annual means in particular) where we need to divide by the number of seconds in the current month/year, so a month or year time interval would refer to current (or maybe previous depending on when the flag is triggered) month or year.  If it's too problematic, we can get these numbers in other ways (e.g. difference two time instances), so it's not critical.

On a recurring alarm, an end time might be handy, but you can also remove the alarm if no longer needed.

Phil

---
Correspondence/TSPA/DUSA EARTH
Philip Jones                                pwjones at lanl.gov
Climate, Ocean and Sea Ice Modeling
Los Alamos National Laboratory
T-3 MS B216                                 Ph: 505-500-2699
PO Box 1663                                Fax: 505-665-5926
Los Alamos, NM 87545-1663