[mpas-developers] proposed date/time manager

Michael Duda duda at ucar.edu
Fri Feb 18 10:50:42 MST 2011

Hi, Mark.

Thanks very much for your comments.

Regarding 2.2.2, perhaps this should be split into two
sub-requirements for the querying of notifications:

  1) Query for notifications which have occurred since the last query
     of the time manager. If the previous query was at time T1, and the
     current query is at time T2, the time manager should return any
     notifications scheduled in the interval (T1,T2], plus any notifications
     that were returned in the previous query but not yet cleared.

  2) Query for notifications that will occur in the interval (T,T+dt], where
     T is the current time, and dt is some time increment specified in the
     query; each notification that is scheduled in that interval is returned,
     along with the exact time for which it is scheduled.

I think that, if the time manager were also required to perform
basic operations on dates/times, then the restart issue you
mentioned in your second paragraph might be handled on the user's
side, as you suggested.

The comment regarding notifications in terms of wall-clock time is
interesting; I had been thinking of the time manager as handling
only simulation time. Given the fundamental differences between
wall-clock and simulation time, it might be worth giving some more
thought to how this might be implemented before deciding whether
we want to require the ability to handle both.

Cheers!
Michael