[mpas-developers] proposed additions to global_scvt

Michael Duda duda at ucar.edu
Thu Dec 22 11:31:47 MST 2011

Hi, Doug.

Improving compatibility between our grid generation codes sounds like
a good idea. Changing the format to just

x1 y1 z1
x2 y2 z2

would be straightforward, though removing the header would appear to
cause problems for the grid_ref program. With refinement points now
being written to the locs.dat.out file, we may be able to dispense with
the grid_ref program, though this would depend on whether anyone else
relies on this program.

Could anyone who is currently making use of grid_ref in a way that
couldn't be substituted with the new refined locs.dat.out files comment
on whether we might be able to eliminate this code? If not, would it
work to have grid_ref read the namelist.input file to see how many lines
it should read from the locs.dat.out file?

Thanks!
Michael