[mpas-developers] question about EXPAND_LEVELS

Michael Duda duda at ucar.edu
Thu Sep 30 11:44:33 MDT 2010

Hi, Todd.

Thanks for the information -- it's good to know that the ocean model
isn't relying on EXPAND_LEVELS.

All: I'd like to propose a set of changes to the MPAS repository that
would do what I've described in my earlier e-mail, namely, allow us to
specify any dimension, including decomposed dimensions, in the namelist.
The proposed changes would also remove any EXPAND_LEVELS logic from the
code, and would also fix a bit of unsound logic in how we generated
indices for super-arrays (these changes are around line 372 in
src/registry/gen_inc.c, and require the addition of a routine
sort_group_vars() in parse.c).

I've placed a tar file of the code as I'd like to commit it in
http://www.mmm.ucar.edu/people/duda/files/mpas/mpas_nl_dims.tar.gz; it
should be possible to do 'svn status' to see the changed files. Without
explicitly making changes to the Registry file to make a dimension be
namelist-specified, the modifications should have no effect beyond
removing EXPAND_LEVELS. Please let me know if you have any comments or
suggestions, or if you uncover any problems with the proposed
modifications.

Cheers,
Michael