[mpas-developers] keeping around .f90 files

Philip Jones pwjones at lanl.gov
Fri May 7 05:53:50 MDT 2010

On May 7, 2010, at 3:57 AM, Xylar S. Asay-Davis wrote:
> One way that POP deals with this is by putting the .f90 files in a
> different directory than the .F files.  This may be an option worth
> considering for MPAS.

More specifically, during the preprocess stage, we dump
the output of the preprocessing (the .f90, .c, etc.) into
a working subdirectory where all the object files and
dependency files go (we automatically generate dependencies
too).  The subdirectory is created as part of the make if
it doesn't already exist. Dumping them in a subdirectory
kept them out of sight, provided a single location for
dependency generation and compilation and was cleaner,
but we have to tell the debugger where to find them.
The executable still ends up in a directory you specify
through an environment variable.

This was useful for the issue mentioned here (the
need to keep the preprocessed files around for debugging),
but also to keep around the dependencies for re-building
and finally because we were often running several production
simulations from the same source, but running with different
inputs, domain sizes, etc. A make clean then basically
clobbers that whole subdirectory.

Everyone has their own favorite way to build, though.

Phil

---
Correspondence/TSPA/DUSA AOE
Philip Jones                                pwjones at lanl.gov
T-3 MS B216                                 Ph: 505-667-6387
Los Alamos National Lab                    Fax: 505-665-5926
Los Alamos, NM 87545-1663