[mpas-developers] additions to MPAS registry and I/O

Michael Duda duda at ucar.edu
Wed May 5 15:44:37 MDT 2010

Hi, All.

I apologize if this already went through to the mailing list
yesterday; I suspsect it might not have due to the size of the
attachments, which I've replaced with references to files in
a repository branch.

Currently, it's not possible to define a time-invariant, real
scalar field in the registry; however, I've got a set of changes
to the registry and framework code that enable this, and I've
tested them in the context of the mpas_cam_coupling branch.
Essentially, the changes would make it possible to define
something like

      var real    ptop ( ) iro ptop - -

that would be accessible in the code as

   block % mesh % ptop % scalar

The files that I'm proposing to commit to the trunk can be found
in https://svn-mpas-model.cgd.ucar.edu/branches/mpas_cam_coupling
as:

   src/framework/module_io_input.F
   src/framework/module_io_output.F
   src/registry/gen_inc.c

The changes will have no effect on current code, but would just
expand the dimensionality of fields specifiable in the registry.
If anyone has any objections or suggestions for improvements,
please feel free to comment.

Cheers,
Michael