[mpas-developers] request to merge lateral_boundary branch to the trunk

Todd Ringler ringler at lanl.gov
Mon May 3 16:38:44 MDT 2010

Hi All,

We have been working on a clean implementation of lateral boundary
conditions for a while now. Michael and I put together a design and
requirement document on the top that was circulated for comments.

As near I can tell, we have successfully implemented this design in
the shallow-water model and in the ocean model. Changes committed by
Michael lead me to think that the design has also been pushed into the
hydrostatic atmosphere model.

Over the next couple of days Mark Petersen will be doing a review and
testing of the code under the lateral_boundary_conditions. His focus
will be on the ocean model component. Over the last couple of weeks
Mat Maltrud has been testing the shallow-water core with realistic
boundaries. All of this testing has occurred in "MPI-mode" on numerous
different platforms.

Some of the changes in this design occur under frameworks, so the push
back to the trunk will impact all model components when rebuilt. As
far as we can tell, these changes are innocuous to those not enforcing
lateral boundary conditions.

A quick comparison of the shallow-water models in the branch and in
the trunk show agreement out to ~12 digits  after 500 time steps in
test case #5.

I am asking for suggestions in terms of testing and evaluation. We
would like to merge this branch with the trunk very soon, but we want
to be careful not to adversely impact the broader development effort.

Cheers,
Todd