[mpas-developers] Vector Reconstruction

Michael Duda duda at ucar.edu
Tue Mar 23 11:29:16 MDT 2010

Hi, Xylar.

The module looks good to me -- very clean code. The only changes
I'd suggest are to the comments at the beginning of the
init_reconstruct() routine, and a few changes to indentation, as
in the attached module_vector_reconstruction.F.

This is most likely a problem in how I'm performing the
computation given that both you and Todd have checked the
reconstructed vectors, but I'm having trouble getting a zonal and
meridional wind from the reconstructed vector in (x,y,z). Even
plotting the magnitude of the reconstructed vector, sqrt(x^2 + y^2
+ z^2), I'm getting some unexpected values in the reconstructed
wind speed field for shallow water test case 2 (with alpha=0).
Given that we should have purely zonal flow for this test case,
I'm suprised to see values in uReconstructZ of order 10. Do either
you or Todd have any thoughts or suggestions?

Cheers,
Michael