[mpas-developers] requirements and design document for lateral boundaries

Todd Ringler ringler at lanl.gov
Thu Mar 18 21:43:09 MDT 2010

Hi All,

Attached is a draft  requirements and design document to support
lateral boundaries in MPAS. This functionality will be needed on both
the atmosphere and ocean side, so the process has to carefully
consider the needs of both models. We hope to implement this very
soon. Attached is a pdf, as well as the TeX source and figure.

Comments are appreciated. Call me on the phone, send comments via
email, add comments to the pdf or amend the TeX source. If you do the
latter, please include all comments in the form of "[put comment in
here, your name] so that I can find where you altered the TeX source
and merge it with the master version.

We will probably start moving forward on this next Wednesday. If you
would like to comment, but can't by next Wednesday please let me know.

For those not yet familiar with the data structures in MPAS, I have
attached a pdf describing the grid and how it is referenced
(grid_description.pdf).

(A note to the ocean team: If this goes through as planned the MPAS
ocean will support limited-area domains in a manner similar to ROMS.)

Cheers,
Todd