[mpas-developers] 1/10 degree problems

Xylar Asay-Davis xylar at lanl.gov
Fri Apr 16 14:27:01 MDT 2010

Mat,

Could you send the namelist.input file you're using, too?  Who knows,
maybe something useful there?

I don't think the F is an indication of the problem.  If I'm reading the
code correctly, it just indicates that the timer (not the code) is no
longer running.  If you did a call to the code that prints the timing
information before calling timer_stop(), then this flag would be T instead.

-Xylar

On 4/16/10 2:16 PM, Mathew Maltrud wrote:
> Hi Michael and Todd--
>
> i've been trying to run the 1/10 dipole POP grid in the sw
> configuration and am getting something i haven't seen before.  all
> appears normal--all mpi process are going, etc.  the *.err files say
> it is looping over timesteps, though clearly nothing is being done
> (happening too fast).  there's no output.nc file.  here are examples
> of the log.0000.* files (running on 64 cores):
>
> mm at cy-2.lanl.gov {10}% tail log.0000.err
>    Doing timestep           11
>    Doing timestep           12
>    Doing timestep           13
>    Doing timestep           14
>    Doing timestep           15
>    Doing timestep           16
>    Doing timestep           17
>    Doing timestep           18
>    Doing timestep           19
>    Doing timestep           20
> mm at cy-2.lanl.gov {11}% tail log.0000.out
>
>     TIMINGS (process:event,running,cpu,wall,100*(wall/total wall))
>        0 : total time          F        0.00000      196.55210
>
>        0 : initialize          F        0.00000       67.82460   34.51
>        0 : time integration    F        0.00000       11.05870    5.63
>
> so the 'F' is a clue, but i don't know what it means.  note that the
> grid.nc file looks ok, and i successfully ran the 4/10 version of this
> grid earlier this week.
>
> any hints?  maybe not enough memory?  there are about 6 million cells...
>
> thanks...
> -mat

Xylar S. Asay-Davis
E-mail: xylar at lanl.gov