[mpas-developers] a note regarding revision 92

Michael Duda duda at ucar.edu
Fri Dec 18 16:49:36 MST 2009

Hi, All.

Revision 92 of the trunk generalizes the degree of vertices, removing
the assumption of a triangular dual mesh (sort of: it is still
expected that all vertices have the same degree, but now that degree
can be something other than the hardwired value of 3 that was used in
the Registry file and code). A consequence of these changes is that
grid.nc and Registry files that reference the dimension THREE won't
work anymore. I've updated all of the grid.nc files available at
http://www.mmm.ucar.edu/people/duda/files/mpas/ but I realize that
some of you might already have grid.nc files of your own making, or
don't want to re-download files. So, I've also provided a quick
Fortran converter program that renames the dimension THREE to
vertexDegree in a grid.nc file; you can download this converter from
http://www.mmm.ucar.edu/people/duda/files/mpas/add_vertex_degree.f90

This change may make life tricky while we switch branches of the code
over to the vertexDegree variable also! If there are any questions,
please don't hesitate to let me know.

Cheers,
Michael