[icoads_usa] Improved stewardship of thermosalinograph data at NODC

Steve Worley worley at ucar.edu
Sat Feb 22 17:36:04 MST 2014

Hi Deirdre,

Thank you for your informative email.
Scott and I have conferred about the TSG data in ICOADS and your
questions below.

Congratulations on getting the NODC TSG inventory together.  Obviously,
it is a key starting point, and also daunting when the format issue is so great.

From the ICOADS perspective your second possible outcome, a standardized
netCDF format, ranks as most desirable.  A caveat relates to the SUR data that
is already in the WOD, it is discussed below, and Tim B. is cc'd here because
his expert advice is needed.

We now systematically process the WOD SUR data type into ICOADS.  Tim and
crew have adapted the WOD profile format to hold TSG data.  There is a single
set of header information and then successive samples of subsurface data with
location and time stamps.  We appreciate getting these data into ICOADS via the
specially design SUR format in the WOD.  I wonder if a new format, e.g. netCDF,
would be better.  For example, do the TSG archives have associated surface
meteorological data blended into them?  If so, then the SUR format is not structured
to include them.  There may be other sample by sample QC data, e.g. coming from
GOSUD, SAMOS, etc. - this is not readily available in the SUR format.

Near-term we would like to discuss the possibility of bring one or two additional
TSG datasets, in SUR form, into the Release 3.0 ICOADS.  In the long-term
we would like to understand more about the TSG submission formats and possibly
help you make decisions about a TSG netCDF format, and design a shared
process were all appropriate TSG data are available in ICOADS.

I guess that is sufficient for a paragraph or two comment.  If a teleconference, or even an extended
side discussion at CLIMAR-IV meeting in June in Asheville would be an option.  Deirdre I understand
you have registered, and the organizers are try to entice Tim to attend.

All the best,
Steve

---
Steven Worley / NCAR