[icoads_usa] Fwd: Data submission cookbook

Scott Woodruff scott.d.woodruff at noaa.gov
Sat Feb 8 11:30:29 MST 2014

Hi Shawn,
Back when Bob Keeley was initially involved (as JCOMM/DMCG Chair), I
provided some limited comments on an initial version of this report.

Since the marine program (MMOP) of WMO already points to ICOADS as a
source for historical marine data, e.g. from:
https://www.wmo.int/pages/prog/amp/mmop/faq.html#data_access
I think it is a reasonable question whether ICOADS (and probably
certainly at this stage the GCCs/MCSS) might eventually become at least
a small part of this cookbook.

ICOADS, GCC, and MCSS are already defined in the Annex XI Acronyms list,
but not yet otherwise referenced in the text (note the description in
that Annex of ICOADS including "(USA)" should be changed to "(USA-led)").

However, I also notice that some of the more VOS-related sections remain
to be filled in by Graeme/Sarah (might be nice if somebody from the
GCCs/ETMC was involved too though). As internationalization of ICOADS
proceeds under the nearly-signed LOI, maybe eventually heading towards
further international formalization via a CMOC, the rationale for
including ICOADS might well become even more clear-cut.

I've cc'd Dave who I understand was at the JCOMM/DMCG-5 meeting last
week, and might have further insights/recommendations. Also if it might
be helpful, I'd be glad to chat with Kelly sometime, assuming she is
still also located in the NOAA-Boulder building here.  Thanks for this
head's up.  -Scott