[icoads_usa] Fwd: Data submission cookbook

Shawn R. Smith smith at coaps.fsu.edu
Fri Feb 7 11:53:00 MST 2014

Hey all,

I just wanted to bring you into this conversation (not that any of us need any more to to). I am not sure if you all are familiar with the JCOMM effort to create the TR-72 data cook book (attached), but I have been asked to contribute some info. Based  on the email below, I am not in favor of including SAMOS as a procedure for the cookbook. They are looking for more "operational" activities (primarily thinking only in the GTS box). That said, I suggested they consider ICOADS as a potential "recipie" for getting delayed-mode marine meteorological and surface ocean data into the World Data Centers. I would anticipate that many people do not wish to push their data to the GTS (especially individual researchers and labs), but it may be reasonable for them to tranlate their data to IMMA (with some good code out there) and submit directly to ICOADS and the WDC at NCDC.

Just wanted to bring you into the loop. Not sure ICOADS submission procedures are "cookbook" ready, but may be an idea for the near future. ICOADS works for historical data, why not for modern data (bypassing the GTS when needed).

Cheers,

Shawn

Begin forwarded message: