[icoads_usa] Test for Tair

Eric Freeman eric.freeman at noaa.gov
Thu Feb 6 11:59:13 MST 2014

Hey Shawn,
Seems we can clear this up by email, but I'm just wondering how many
times we will circle around the wagon on the VQC flag scheme. We've been
back and forth many times on this and need to make a decision in order
to move forward.

While I'm not against using our own VQC 0-9 scheme, the point of using
the ODS scheme 0-4,9 is so that it can more easily map with other ocean
datasets.
I'm sure that whatever we do, the ocean community will adapt and map as
best as possible, but we don't want to make it too hard to do so.
ODS is an international standard, so I hate to begin to move away from
that too much when consensus is growing in our groups to use such a
standard.

1=good, 2=questionable, 3=bad, 8=not evaluated, 9=missing
While I like the order of these from Table E2, they are identical to the
ODS flags, just with different numbers and placement. At that point, why
rearrange the values outside of the standard? I'm sure that code can
easily be written to say 2 = questionable or 3 = questionable.

Ultimately, we need to do what's best for ICOADS users and I'm not sure
how many are actually familiar with the ODS flagging scheme, so it might
not have too much of an impact (at least in the near term). As long as
each flag is very clear on the meaning we should be good and I can
easily accept what you and Scott have proposed.

Just my 2 cents.
Thanks,
Eric