[icoads_usa] icoads_usa

Steve Worley worley at ucar.edu
Fri Oct 11 09:28:26 MDT 2013


Eric,

For the matter of practice and determination if we like using an email list let's do this:

Please send an email (regular) to Hua, Jay, Sandy, Karsten, and Shawn and ask them
to subscribe to the icoad_usa email list here:
http://mailman.ucar.edu/mailman/listinfo/icoads_usa

The benefits are:
 1) by emailing to icoads_usa at mailman.ucar.edu we all get the same message, no one is accidentally forgotten
  2) the system builds an archive that all subscribers can re-visit
  3) there are various setting, such as digest, to tune how you get the information 
  4) of course you can un-subscribe at any time
  5) as the administrator, I have assigned myself to 'accept and approve" all subscription requests, this
      means the email list is tightly controlled, i.e. not open to the public, and there is very limited potential 
      for spam.
Your thoughts?
sjw

On Oct 10, 2013, at 4:26 PM, Scott Woodruff <scott.d.woodruff at noaa.gov> wrote:

> Thanks Eric.
> Fine by me to go slow on this initially, i.e. how about just starting out with invitations for the US list?
> We could then see how that goes first (also discuss with Jay et al. the intended purpose/motivations).
> Then maybe wait until after the Nov. Boulder meeting to initiate the international list. -Scott
> 
> On 10/10/13 12:32 PM, Eric Freeman - NOAA Affiliate wrote:
>> Hi Steve (and Scott),
>> Thanks for getting this mailing list set up. It will be very useful.
>> FYI - this is the first message I've received from the chain above. 
>> 
>> Not sure if I was supposed to get message #1, but I also didn't receive #2 or #3. Let me know if you need to send me another test message to confirm receipt.
>> 
>> 
>> Scott - I'd be happy to send out invitations to our colleagues in your absence. Hua and Shawn are the only ones on the list that are available right now, but when the Feds are back from the shutdown I can invite them. Should I send an invitation to Hua (Steve - have you done this already) and Shawn?
>> 
>> What about the 'int' list? Should we invite the EarthTemp list or hold off on this right now to give it more thought? Not sure if a smaller list would be better initially, but I assume it should probably include all of our formal ICOADS intl partners.
>> 
>> 
>> Thanks,
>> Eric
>> 
>> 
>> 
>> On Thu, Oct 10, 2013 at 2:00 PM, <icoads_usa-request at mailman.ucar.edu> wrote:
>> Send icoads_usa mailing list submissions to
>>         icoads_usa at mailman.ucar.edu
>> 
>> To subscribe or unsubscribe via the World Wide Web, visit
>>         http://mailman.ucar.edu/mailman/listinfo/icoads_usa
>> or, via email, send a message with subject or body 'help' to
>>         icoads_usa-request at mailman.ucar.edu
>> 
>> You can reach the person managing the list at
>>         icoads_usa-owner at mailman.ucar.edu
>> 
>> When replying, please edit your Subject line so it is more specific
>> than "Re: Contents of icoads_usa digest..."
>> 
>> 
>> Today's Topics:
>> 
>>    1. test email (Steve Worley)
>>    2. email lists for ICOADS (Steve Worley)
>>    3. Re: email lists for ICOADS (Scott Woodruff)
>> 
>> 
>> ----------------------------------------------------------------------
>> 
>> Message: 1
>> Date: Thu, 10 Oct 2013 05:42:22 -0600
>> From: Steve Worley <worley at ucar.edu>
>> Subject: [icoads_usa] test email
>> To: icoads_usa at mailman.ucar.edu
>> Message-ID: <259E99C9-5913-4A25-A3CC-5350A1C74A81 at ucar.edu>
>> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"
>> 
>> testing ncar icoads_usa email list
>> sjw
>> 
>> ---
>> Steven Worley / NCAR
>> worley at ucar.edu
>> rda.ucar.edu
>> Wrk: 303.497.1248
>> Mobile: 720.468.1961
>> ----
>> 
>> 
>> 
>> 
>> -------------- next part --------------
>> An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
>> URL: http://mailman.ucar.edu/pipermail/icoads_usa/attachments/20131010/7b6241da/attachment-0001.html
>> 
>> ------------------------------
>> 
>> Message: 2
>> Date: Thu, 10 Oct 2013 06:17:06 -0600
>> From: Steve Worley <worley at ucar.edu>
>> Subject: [icoads_usa] email lists for ICOADS
>> To: "icoads_usa at mailman.ucar.edu" <icoads_usa at mailman.ucar.edu>
>> Message-ID: <DB9DEE60-8935-4581-9ED0-F26EB96647B6 at ucar.edu>
>> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"
>> 
>> Scott and Eric,
>> 
>> Thanks for following through and joining the icoads_usa email list.
>> 
>> You two were added via a direct invitation, i.e. I typed in your email address, and you replied as requested.
>> 
>> I prefer not to be responsible for adding new members and deleting members from the list, although I
>> can do that in a pinch.
>> 
>> So here is how it works:
>> from this page:
>> http://mailman.ucar.edu/mailman/listinfo/icoads_usa
>> a user may subscribe.
>> 
>> I have set the subscription hurdle to be confirmed and approved by me.  This reduces the likelihood of
>> spam and people getting on the wrong list.
>> 
>> An archive of all emails is built as time goes on and list members have access to that - again see the
>> http above.
>> 
>> I have also created an email list for possibly international partner communications, it is call icoads_int.
>> 
>> I have set the maximum email message body size to be 500 kBytes.  I don't know, at this point, if it includes
>> the attachment size or not.  I'm thinking about the impact on size by .pptx files.
>> 
>> Now the questions?
>> 1) Who should be on the icoads_usa email list other than us three?
>>     * simply have them go to: http://mailman.ucar.edu/mailman/listinfo/icoads_usa  and subscribe
>> 2) Should we activate icoads_int now?
>>     * simply have them go to: http://mailman.ucar.edu/mailman/listinfo/icoads_int  and subscribe
>> 
>> Sjw
>> ---
>> Steven Worley / NCAR
>> worley at ucar.edu
>> rda.ucar.edu
>> Wrk: 303.497.1248
>> Mobile: 720.468.1961
>> ----
>> 
>> 
>> 
>> 
>> -------------- next part --------------
>> An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
>> URL: http://mailman.ucar.edu/pipermail/icoads_usa/attachments/20131010/12f1d7bd/attachment-0001.html
>> 
>> ------------------------------
>> 
>> Message: 3
>> Date: Thu, 10 Oct 2013 09:15:25 -0600
>> From: Scott Woodruff <scott.d.woodruff at noaa.gov>
>> Subject: Re: [icoads_usa] email lists for ICOADS
>> To: icoads_usa at mailman.ucar.edu
>> Message-ID: <5256C48D.7010908 at noaa.gov>
>> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1"
>> 
>> Thanks for setting these up, Steve.
>> 
>> I've just put in a subscription submission to join the international list.
>> 
>> How about this list of additional invitees for the usa list?:
>>      Zaihua Ji <zji at ucar.edu>
>>      Jay Lawrimore <Jay.Lawrimore at noaa.gov>
>>      Sandy Lubker <Sandra.J.Lubker at noaa.gov>
>>      Karsten Shein <Karsten.Shein at noaa.gov>
>>      Shawn Smith <smith at coaps.fsu.edu>
>> 
>> The list of invitees for the international list partnership list could
>> be derived (largely anyway) I think from the recent EarthTemp mailing on
>> the R3.0 workplan. Until the U.S. Gov't shutdown is resolved, probably
>> there isn't much urgency to issue further invitations, but I was
>> thinking it might be advantageous to get this rolled out (both usa and
>> int) prior to our ICOADS/IVAD meeting in Nov. (note: thus far
>> international responses to my Doodle have been limited:
>> http://doodle.com/2pmkevgdzeqhpvpp), so that it could be discussed
>> further then.
>> 
>> I'm theoretically departing on vacation starting tomorrow (back in the
>> office 5 Nov.), but may work more into next week depending on the
>> shutdown (including of Yosemite N.P.) status.
>> 
>> Eric: Depending on how the above sounds to you and Steve, would you be
>> agreeable to carry this forward in my absence in terms of issuing the
>> invitations, which could also potentially await some in-person
>> discussion with Jay (once shutdown dust settles!)? Thanks,  -Scott
>> 
>> 
>> On 10/10/13 6:17 AM, Steve Worley wrote:
>> > Scott and Eric,
>> >
>> > Thanks for following through and joining the icoads_usa email list.
>> >
>> > You two were added via a direct invitation, i.e. I typed in your email
>> > address, and you replied as requested.
>> >
>> > I prefer not to be responsible for adding new members and deleting
>> > members from the list, although I
>> > can do that in a pinch.
>> >
>> > So here is how it works:
>> > from this page:
>> > http://mailman.ucar.edu/mailman/listinfo/icoads_usa
>> > a user may subscribe.
>> >
>> > I have set the subscription hurdle to be confirmed and approved by me.
>> >  This reduces the likelihood of
>> > spam and people getting on the wrong list.
>> >
>> > An archive of all emails is built as time goes on and list members
>> > have access to that - again see the
>> > http above.
>> >
>> > I have also created an email list for possibly international partner
>> > communications, it is call icoads_int.
>> >
>> > I have set the maximum email message body size to be 500 kBytes.  I
>> > don't know, at this point, if it includes
>> > the attachment size or not.  I'm thinking about the impact on size by
>> > .pptx files.
>> >
>> > Now the questions?
>> > 1) Who should be on the icoads_usa email list other than us three?
>> >     * simply have them go to:
>> > http://mailman.ucar.edu/mailman/listinfo/icoads_usa  and subscribe
>> > 2) Should we activate icoads_int now?
>> >     * simply have them go to:
>> > http://mailman.ucar.edu/mailman/listinfo/icoads_int  and subscribe
>> >
>> > Sjw
>> > ---
>> > Steven Worley / NCAR
>> > worley at ucar.edu <mailto:worley at ucar.edu>
>> > rda.ucar.edu <http://rda.ucar.edu>
>> > Wrk: 303.497.1248
>> > Mobile: 720.468.1961
>> > ----
>> >
>> >
>> >
>> >
>> >
>> >
>> > _______________________________________________
>> > icoads_usa mailing list
>> > icoads_usa at mailman.ucar.edu
>> > http://mailman.ucar.edu/mailman/listinfo/icoads_usa
>> 
>> 
>> -------------- next part --------------
>> An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
>> URL: http://mailman.ucar.edu/pipermail/icoads_usa/attachments/20131010/9645a752/attachment-0001.html
>> 
>> ------------------------------
>> 
>> _______________________________________________
>> icoads_usa mailing list
>> icoads_usa at mailman.ucar.edu
>> http://mailman.ucar.edu/mailman/listinfo/icoads_usa
>> 
>> 
>> End of icoads_usa Digest, Vol 1, Issue 1
>> ****************************************
>> 
>> 
>> 
>> -- 
>> Eric Freeman
>> Marine Observation Analyst - STG, Inc.
>> 
>> Ingest and Analysis Branch
>> Global Climate Applications Division
>> NOAA's National Climatic Data Center
>> 
>> 
>> 151 Patton Avenue, Asheville, NC 28801-5001
>> Phone: +1 828.271.4463
>> Fax:   +1 828.271.4022
>> 
>> Eric.Freeman at noaa.gov
> 
> 

---
Steven Worley / NCAR
worley at ucar.edu
rda.ucar.edu
Wrk: 303.497.1248
Mobile: 720.468.1961
----




-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: http://mailman.ucar.edu/pipermail/icoads_usa/attachments/20131011/e4f5a3a4/attachment-0001.html 


More information about the icoads_usa mailing list