[icoads_usa] Delayed Mode buoy update for ICOADS

Steve Worley worley at ucar.edu
Fri Nov 22 15:03:27 MST 2013

Dai,

I have been studying the ftp directory systems at PMEL, reviewed how we accomplished the previous update (circa 2008), and now I am try to layout the strategy to do the same in early 2014.

Thank you for entertaining my questions below and helping me thoroughly understand the options.

The objective is:
Acquire the full period of record for all GTMBA data under PMEL management.  Process the high resolution data (probably ascii), both hourly and the 10 min. resolution, selecting fields that exist in the ICOADS Core and Nocn  record format.

First, I would like to request your permission to share the PMEL ftp access with Dr. Elizabeth Kent, cc'd here, from the National Oceanographic Centre (NOC) in Southampton, UK.  She is a marine data expert and is considering offering assistance to the ICOADS project by converting the GTMBA data into the ICOADS format.  May I provide Dr. Kent the password?

There is a wealth of metadata online at the sites listed below and in the README files within the ftp directory structure:
http://www.pmel.noaa.gov/tao/proj_over/mooring.shtml
http://www.pmel.noaa.gov/tao/proj_over/sensors.shtml
http://www.pmel.noaa.gov/tao/proj_over/qc.html
http://www.pmel.noaa.gov/tao/proj_over/gts.html

Below are described the files I believe we need.  Your comments and further recommendations
are welcomed.  Since, ICOADS is most about surface meteorology and near surface oceanographic measurements the "met……….." files are a key starting point.

From ftp.pmel.noaa.gov/high_resolution/ascii/hr we would acquire  all "met…" files, e.g.
 met0n110w_hr.ascii.  These will provide WSPD, WDIR, AIRT, SST, and RH.
Similarly, from ftp.pmel.noaa.gov/high_resolution/ascii/10m we would acquire all the "met… " files.

There are some additional measurements we need that are not in the "met" files.
ftp.pmel.noaa.gov/high_resolution/ascii/hr
  hourly sea surface salinity, e.g. sss0n0e_hr.ascii
 ftp.pmel.noaa.gov/ascii/sites/daily/
  daily barometric pressure, e.g. bp0n110w_dy.ascii

From ftp.pmel.noaa.gov/ascii/sites/daily we would acquire all the "pos…." files, e.g. pos0n0e_dy.ascii.
As we process the "met" files we will attached the daily buoy position, from the "pos" files, when the dates can be matched, otherwise the buoy nominal position will be used.

Of course we will study the documentation in:
ftp.pmel.noaa.gov/Documentation/README_met.txt
ftp.pmel.noaa.gov/Documentation/README_pos.txt
ftp.pmel.noaa.gov/Documentation/README_sss.txt
ftp.pmel.noaa.gov/Documentation/README_bp.txt

Questions:
Are there any daily "met" files we should gather to ensure we get the earliest start times possible for each time series?
Is it correct to assume we do not need the temperature and salinity files, because SST is included in the "met" files, and SSS has a stand alone file set?
Any other recommendations?

We need to use the WMO buoy identification for eliminating GTS GTMBA data (received from NCEP) in favor of the delayed mode data from PMEL.  To do that we have used a table in the form shown below
(only a snippet is shown for illustration).

BUOYLOCS  LOWLIMIT UPLIMIT  WMONO
--------------------------------
000N1470E        0 19990219 52318
000N1470E 19990220 19991030 52079
000N1470E 19991029 20000908 52046
000N1470E 20001027        0 52079
……………….
LOWLIMIT and UPLIMIT define the applicable time period for the WMO number.
The same information (without the time LIMITs)  is here: http://www.pmel.noaa.gov/tao/proj_over/wmo.html
Do you have a file like the one above - with the date LIMITS included?
Regards,
Steve

On Nov 15, 2013, at 3:46 PM, Dai Mcclurg - NOAA Affiliate <dai.c.mcclurg at noaa.gov> wrote:

> Hi Steve -
>
> You might want to check out our high resolution files on our website.
> I have just updated them.
>
> I am still in the process of checking everything, so you should
> re-download your files again periodically to make sure you have
> everything.
>
> I will send you the password in a separate email for security.
>
>                  Regards,
>
>                                    --Dai

>   Instructions for accessing the TAO PMEL FTP site
>
> Please do not share these details with other users.
> If anyone is interested, please give them our contact
> information, i.e.
>
>  Dai McClurg <dai.c.mcclurg at noaa.gov>
>  Paul Freitag <paul.freitag at noaa.gov>
>
> In a web Browser:
>
>  ftp://taopmelftp@ftp.pmel.noaa.gov
>
> enter the password into the little pop up window.
>
> High time-resolution data are located in the
> high_resolution subdirectory, in both ascii
> and netcdf format. All high resolution files are
> compressed using gzip, and can be uncompressed
> using gunzip.
>
> Below is an example, which should give you a sense
> of how the daily data are organized.
>
> For daily ASCII ocean velocity data with files arranged
> by mooring site navigate to
>
>   ascii/sites/daily/
>
> and look for files named cur*.ascii.
>
> For NetCDF files, you would navigate to
>
>   cdf/sites/daily/
>
> for 4-byte NetCDF files or
>
>   cdf_2byte/sites/daily/
>
> for more compact NetCDF files.
>
> If you want all sites in one file, you would
> navigate to, for example,
>
>   ascii/fields/TAO_TRITON/
>
> and the file named cur*dy.ascii will contain
> all available daily data for all sites in the
> Tropical Pacific. Similarly for PIRATA and RAMA in
>
>   ascii/fields/PIRATA/
>
> or
>
>   ascii/fields/RAMA/
>
> To get files interactively in a script
>
>   ftp ftp.pmel.noaa.gov
>
>   login as taopmelftp
>
> using the password. Then, for example, to get
> all daily velocity ascii files
>
>  cd ascii/sites/daily/
>  ascii
>  prompt
>  mget cur*.ascii
>  quit
>
> Similarly for 4-byte netcdf
>
>  cd cdf/sites/daily
>  binary
>  prompt
>  mget cur*.cdf
>  quit
>

> On Thu, Nov 14, 2013 at 3:13 PM, Steve Worley <worley at ucar.edu> wrote:
> Dai,
> Thank you for the terrific very complete response.  I will get back to you again, I'm in a bit
> of crunched with things right now, but wanted you to know I appreciated your effort.
> Thanks
> sjw
>
> On Nov 12, 2013, at 5:23 PM, Dai Mcclurg - NOAA Affiliate <dai.c.mcclurg at noaa.gov> wrote:

> [...]

---