[icoads_usa] ICOADS 3.0 plans

Steve Worley worley at ucar.edu
Fri Nov 1 10:33:51 MDT 2013

Chris,

Just to add to Eric's response.

It is our full intent to preserve the UIDs you currently have in Rel 2.5.1 as we
go forward to Release 3.0.0.  The UIDs are assigned at one level prior to the duplicate
elimination and the data preconditioning step. In the same place you acquired Rel 2.5.1 you will see
Rel 2.5.1i (the "i" stands for intermediate, http://rda.ucar.edu/datasets/ds540.0/#!access) - these
are the foundation data reports.  If we tweak the data processing rules, which is one
way we improve the quality of the final data, a few records from Rel 2.5.1 may not appear in Rel 3.0.0,
but they will in general be replaced with another record having a different UID.

On GTMBA:
Currently, we have not identified resources to process the GTMBA to the fullest extend possible - like we
did for Release 2.5.  This means going to NOAA and JAMSTEC websites, finding the bulk data to download,
understanding the various formats, converting the data and metadata into IMMA1 format.  A few particulars
for the record:
 - For Rel. 2.5 we possessed 4 GTMBA sources ( hourly and 10-minute TOA data from NOAA, real-time hourly
   averaged data from JAMSTEC, hourly SLP data from NOAA).  The 10-minute sample data were sub-sampled to
   hourly when Release 2.5 was produced.
   {We could consider changing this practice to better support the satellite community.  Note to ICOADS PIs - could not
     we move the sub-sampling to a pre-conditioning step prior to creating the monthly summary statistics and carry the
     full resolution in the observational archive?}
 - RAMA data was not available when we did the delayed mode data processing for Rel 2.5, it should be included the
   next time we process the GTMBA
 - The World Ocean Database contains only the daily means from TAO, PIRATA, and RAMA.  Not JAMSTEC, not
    high resolution (hourly or 10-minute), and I'm not certain about the special SLP data file we found and included in R2.5

On drifting buoy data:
Eric gave a good summary and these are some interesting ideas.
- First I do like the idea of gaining a higher quality starting point.  What portion of the ISDM collection is
  included in the AOML SVP archive?  Could we have a stroke of luck and benefit from both of these sources being
  in the same data format?  This would minimize the effort required to include AOML SVP.
- Are your QC and bias discoveries mappable to UIDs, i.e. individual records in ICOADS?  This would make
  enable the IVAD approach for improving the data quality.

A long reach question:  If the we were able to achieve the change noted in red (above),  would you or someone you
know in the satellite community be willing to convert these research moored buoys to IMMA data format for Release 3.0?

Thanks Chris.  We appreciate the way you use and work on these data.  It helps us understand the user community and
forms the way we go forward.

Steve

On Oct 28, 2013, at 12:35 PM, Eric Freeman <Eric.Freeman at noaa.gov> wrote:

> Hi Chris,
> Good to hear from you! Things are going pretty good here, especially for Scott. He's on his annual holiday and expected back in the office next week.
> Hope you are doing well!
>
> Your questions below cross many different topics the US partners are trying to deal with and NCAR has been the key player in many of these. In the future, please include Steve Worley (cc'd), and between the 3 of us we should be able to answer most of your questions.
>
> My answers are interleaved below. I may have to defer to Steve on some of these.
>
> ICOADS 3.0:
>
> - For the database I'm creating I've made use of the UIDs released recently in IMMA1 format, which I've been referring to as ICOADS 2.5.1 (hopefully correctly!).  I was wondering whether the observations in ICOADS 3.0 will preserve the ICOADS 2.5.1 UIDs?  I appreciate the concept of the UID is one UID per ob consistent across ICOADS updates, but I wasn't sure if those released in ICOADS 2.5.1 were preliminary.
>
> R2.5.1 is a preliminary product to help us sort this UID and IVAD process out, as well as upgrades to IMMA(1) for R3.0.
> I'm not certain if these UID's will carry over or if we will start fresh. Steve - can you elaborate on this?
>
> - Are there any plans for ICOADS 3.0 to make use of high resolution GTMBA data?  This is something that we are being pushed on for satellite SST validation purposes but which is not straightforward to address as, as I'm sure you appreciate, the GTMBA archive is quite fragmented.  It's my understanding that at present ICOADS gathers the high-resolution buoy data but sub-samples to hourly resolution.  I was also wondering what the planned data coverage for ICOADS 3.0 is in terms of TAO/TRITON, PIRATA and RAMA arrays?  If I recall correctly, I think the RAMA data in ICOADS 2.5 is limited.
>
> The GTMBA data are very fragmented and hard to collect given their scattered structure. Hi frequency data is becoming more common, whether through RVs or buoy observations (e.g. Arctic Shell moored buoys in the Arctic), so it is something we definitely have to deal with. An example is the SAMOS RV data from FSU. They subsample to hourly.
> Steve - are the buoys in WOD13 being added to the Nocn attm subsampled to hourly in cases of high frequency? Plans to grab additional GTMBA data not part of WOD13?

> [...]

---
Steven Worley / NCAR
worley at ucar.edu
rda.ucar.edu