[GTP] GTP Seminar-Alain Pumir

Silvia Gentile sgentile at mail.ucar.edu
Sat May 26 00:38:25 MDT 2012

GTP Seminar

THE PIROUETTE EFFECT IN TURBULENT FLOWS: AN EXAMPLE OF WHAT CAN BE
LEARNED FROM LAGRANGIAN TETRADS
Alain Pumir
Laboratoire de Physique, Ecole Normale Supérieure de Lyon

The dynamics of the velocity gradient tensor, and in particular of
vorticity, plays a crucial role for our understanding of turbulent
flows. I will discuss recent numerical and experimental results
concerning the "perceived velocity gradient tensor", constructed with
the help of 4 points (a tetrad).
The evolution of the shape of the tetrad and of the perceived velocity
gradient tensor sheds new light on the intriguing properties of
alignment between vorticity and the strain eigenvectors observed in
turbulent flows.

Monday, June 4, 2012
Foothills Laboratory 2, 1022 Large Auditorium
Lecture at 3:30pm

Silvia Gentile
NCAR IMAGe