[GTP] Very sad news

Annick Pouquet pouquet at ucar.edu
Sun Dec 2 12:36:30 MST 2012

Dear GTP members,

Patrice Kein has told me of the terrible news concerning the sudden
death of Lien Hua (Ifremer) last Monday, and needless to say I am under
shock.
Many of you have known her, be it only through her work in nonlinear
processes in the oceans and for her enthusiasm for science and openness
to new ideas.
In her academic tree, she is related directly to Brechner Owens, and
once removed to Francis Bretherton and Peter Rhines, and she has
mentored young oceanographers who are already making headways.
I personally remember vividly her talk for the Lorenz lecture in 2006,
as many of you may also I am sure.

Daniel Schertzer, the incoming head of the Nonlinear Group at AGU, will
make a brief comment at the annual Lorenz lecture, given this year by
Eugenia Kalmay (4pm on Wednesday), another formidable woman in nonlinear
science. He is also thinking about an EOS obituary; please feel free to
send him facts and anecdotes concerning your interactions with Lien.

Annick