[GTP] Joint CGD GTp seminar-Corentin Herbert

Silvia Gentile sgentile at ucar.edu
Thu Oct 27 14:30:57 MDT 2011

Joint CGD GTP Seminar
Large-scale atmospheric flows predicted by statistical mechanics
Corentin Herbert

Two-dimensional turbulent flows are known to develop large-scale
coherent structures which can be explained and predicted by statistical
mechanics in a relatively satisfactory way. Given a small set of
macroscopic quantities (energy, circulation, enstrophy...); it is
possible to compute the equilibrium state ultimately reached by the
flow. Phase diagrams classifying the different flow structures obtained
for the different values of the macroscopic parameters can be
constructed. Applying this theory to a simple model of the atmosphere
(the quasi-geotrophic equations on a rotating sphere), I shall show that
in the absence of a bottom topography, the statistical equilibrium
states are only purely zonal, solid-body rotations, and
symmetry-breaking dipolar flows. In this case, the phase diagram
displays a second-order phase transitions between these two equilibria
for a critical value of the energy. When a bottom topography is added,
we obtain other possibilities reminiscent of the atmosphere of the
Earth. Although these new states are formally unstable in the
statistical mechanics framework, they may be long-lived in practice and
thus relevant for atmospheric modelling. I will also discuss the
puzzling thermodynamic properties of the statistical equilibria
(negative statistical temperatures, vanishing specific heat, non-concave
microcanonical entropy...) in relation with the general problem of
statistical mechanics of systems with long-range interaction.

https://gtp.ucar.edu/events/large-scale-atmospheric-flows-predicted-statistical-mechanics

--
Silvia Gentile
NCAR IMAGe