[GTP] GTP/MMM seminar Harmen Jonker--July 20

Silvia Gentile sgentile at ucar.edu
Thu Jul 14 10:21:40 MDT 2011

NCAR
JOINT SEMINAR
MMM/GTP
Petascale Direct Simulations to Determine the Growth-Rate Law of
Convective Boundary Layers
Harmen Jonker
Department of Multi-Scale Physics
Delft University
The Netherlands

The pioneering water tank experiments on convective entrainment by
Deardorff et al. in the seventies, laid an important foundation for the
now widely used 1/Ri growth-rate law for convective atmospheric boundary
layers. Yet a nagging issue is that other water tank experiments, that
employ different methods to create stratification and buoyancy, tend to
produce significantly different entrainment laws. The essential problem
that seems to remain is how to properly extrapolate the findings
obtained from moderately low Reynolds/Peclet-number experiments to their
huge Re/Pe-number atmospheric counterpart.
In this study we examine this issue by conducting "ground truth" Direct
Numerical Simulations of convective boundary layers. Of course one
cannot simulate the high Reynolds number of atmospheric turbulence, but
present computer resources do allow one to faithfully mimic the
classical laboratory experiments, and to even push the Reynolds number
by more than an order of magnitude. The simulations were conducted
within a European "Extreme Computing Initiative" framework, entailing
simulations on five different supercomputing platforms. The largest
simulations, which ran on the Juelich Bluegene supercomputer, used
3072-cubed gridpoints employing 32,768 cores.
The simulations shed light on why different laboratory experiments with
different set-ups, produced different growth-rate laws. By mimicking
these experimental conditions in our simulations, that is by accounting
for the actual fluid properties that were used in the experiments, we
gain insight into how the Reynolds/Peclet number combination influences
the resulting growth-rate behaviour. In addition, the results indicate
which entrainment law is most appropriate for the large Reynolds number
case associated with atmospheric convection.
Wednesday, 20 July 2011, 3:30 PM
Refreshments 3:15 PM
NCAR-Foothills Laboratory
3450 Mitchell Lane