[GTP] Seminar at NCAR- Pablo Mininni

Silvia Gentile sgentile at ucar.edu
Fri Jan 28 11:16:39 MST 2011

INTERPLAY OF ROTATION AND HELICITY IN TURBULENT FLOWS
Pablo Mininni
Turbulence Numerics Team / IMAGe
and
The University of Buenos Aires

Turbulence is ubiquitous in nature, and many turbulent flows are also
rotating. Mid-latitude synoptic scales in the atmosphere and stellar
convective regions are examples of such flows. Helicity (alignment of
the velocity and its curl, the vorticity) is also important for many
processes in geophysical flows. In the atmosphere, persistence of
helical flows has been invoked to explain long-lived structures, such as
those encountered in rotating supercell storms. However, in non-rotating
isotropic and homogeneous turbulence, even though small-scale structures
are found to be helical, the helicity of a flow does not seem to alter
its dynamics. In this talk we consider the effect of helicity in
rotating flows. With solid body rotation, significant differences emerge
between helical and non-helical flows. Using high resolution numerical
simulations, we show that structures differ according to whether
helicity is present or not, in particular with respect to the emergence
of Beltrami-core vortices, that are laminar helical long-lived
structures. Finally, we also discuss how helicity affects the decay of
structures in rotating turbulent flows.

NCAR

Mesa Laboratory – Main Seminar Room
Tuesday February 22, 2011