[GTP] New Developments in Turbulence Modeling. I. Theory November 4, 2010

Carolyn Mueller cmueller at ucar.edu
Thu Oct 28 16:10:30 MDT 2010

Stefan Heinz

University of Wyoming, Department of Mathematics

For the foreseeable future we have to calculate turbulent flows as
observed in reality on the basis of equations that involve a turbulence
model. The development of computational methods that have a predictive
power requires the use of equations for large eddy simulation (LES). In
such equations we need a subgrid-scale (SGS) turbulence model that
accounts for the interaction of large and small scales. Existing SGS
models face three kinds of problems. First, the consistency of models is
not always clear: a turbulence model describes correlations of a
stochastic process, but there are SGS models for which an underlying
stochastic process does not exist. Second, most SGS models need
adjustments to the flow considered: such methods have a limited
predictive power. Third, LES are often too expensive for applications to
wall-bounded flows at high Reynolds numbers, which have to be computed
in many applications. Theoretical solutions to these problems will be
described in this first part of two talks by explaining the basics of
stochastic turbulence modeling and the extension of these methods to
dynamic and unified turbulence models. The existence of an underlying
stochastic turbulence model overcomes the consistency issue. The dynamic
model formulation overcomes the need for adjusting the model to the flow
considered (this formulation does also overcome the adjustment of
existing dynamic methods by clipping or averaging coefficients to ensure
the stability of solutions). The unified model formulation overcomes the
cost issue of existing LES methods by the consistent integration of LES
and ensemble averaged equations.

November 4, 2010
FL2 Main Auditorium
Room 1022