[GTP] GTP MMM Seminar

Silvia Gentile sgentile at ucar.edu
Fri Jul 23 15:22:17 MDT 2010

River Proximity and Topographic Effects on Precipitation in the Eastern
Amazon Basin

David R. Fitzjarrald
Atmospheric Sciences Research Center
University at Albany, SUNY

I review precipitation measurements organized by our team during the
LBA-ECO field project in the eastern Amazon Basin. The relative
importance of mesoscale river breezes and large-scale squall lines on
regional precipitation patterns will be discussed. Remote sensing
rainfall estimates and selected mesoscale model results will be used to
assess hypotheses resulting from the data analysis. Perils that
accompany the making of gridded rainfall data products will be mentioned
in a final rant.

Wednesday July 28, 2010
NCAR Foothills Laboratory 2
3450 Mitchell Lane