[GTP] Seminar at NCAR- Jonathan Pietarila Graham

Silvia Gentile sgentile at ucar.edu
Thu Nov 12 11:05:50 MST 2009

Joint GTP - HAO Seminar

Turbulent Small-scale Dynamo Action in Solar Surface Simulations
Jonathan Pietarila Graham
Max Planck Institute for Solar System Research

The origin of small-scale quiet-Sun intra-network magnetic field is
unclear.
One possible source is a turbulent small-scale dynamo driven by surface
convection.  We demonstrate that surface convection in realistic solar
simulations exhibits such dynamo action.  By presenting a derivation of
the energy balance equation and transfer functions for compressible
magnetohydrodynamics (MHD), we can quantify the source of magnetic
energy on a scale-by-scale basis.  We rule out the two alternative
mechanisms for the generation of small-scale magnetic field in the
simulations: the tangling of magnetic field lines associated with the
turbulent cascade and Alfvenization of small-scale velocity fluctuations
("turbulent induction'').  Instead, we find the dominant source of
small-scale magnetic energy is stretching by inertial-range fluid
motions of small-scale magnetic field lines against the magnetic tension
force to produce (against Ohmic dissipation) more small-scale magnetic
field. The scales involved become smaller with increasing Reynolds
number, which identifies the dynamo as a small-scale turbulent dynamo.

Wednesday, December 9 2009
Center Green Laboratory 1, Room 2126
Lecture 1:30pm