[GTP] IMAGe GTP Seminar--James Brasseur

Silvia Gentile sgentile at ucar.edu
Wed Feb 25 13:58:07 MST 2009

GTP Seminar

Application of Interactive Visualization-based Data Interrogation to
Explore Local Dynamics of Vorticity in Shear-dominated Turbulence
James G. Brasseur
Department of Mechanical Engineering
Pennsylvania State University

The local dynamics of small-scale turbulence structure has a strong
impact on clustering of particles, aerosol dynamics, cloud formation,
reaction-rate chemistry, etc. Small-scale evolution centers on the
interactions between local concentrations of vorticity and strain-rate
fluctuations modulated by mean gradients. I shall discuss the
incorporation of an interactive visualization-based data analysis
environment into the statistical analysis of the local dynamics that
causes isotropic small-scale turbulence to transition to shear-dominated
small-scale turbulence. The data are from direct numerical simulations
of initially isotropic turbulence under mean shear. The novel aspect of
the analysis environment is the interactive integration of visualization
with quantification of the interactions between individual vorticity and
strain-dominated structures. Combined visualization-quantification
originates from the “extraction” (i.e., identification of surface
coordinates) of individual “structures” based on concentration, and the
separation of the vorticity and strain-rate fields into objectively
defined higher vs. lower intensity structures surrounded by low
intensity fluctuations. Unlike traditional thresholding, our extraction
algorithm includes lower-magnitude content that is part of the coherent
structure. The structure-extraction algorithm was automated, and also
integrated within an interactive environment where the user can extract
potentially interesting structures by hand. We used the latter to follow
the development of a single hairpin vortex in the shear-dominated state
backwards in time to learn its origin in the isotropic state and the
local dynamics that created it. The visualization of structures is
integrated with statistical quantification. I shall present a number of
interesting results from the integration of the visualization-based
analysis environment with more classical statistics.

April28, 2009
Foothills Laboratory 2 (3450 Mitchell Lane), Room 1022
Lecture 10:30am
http://www.image.ucar.edu/Calendar/calendar08.shtml

Sent by Silvia Gentile, NCAR iMAGe