[GTP] Stimulus package and post-doc for GTP

Silvia Gentile sgentile at ucar.edu
Fri Apr 10 13:43:20 MDT 2009

Emailed forwarded per Annick Pouquet's request.

Silvia Gentile

Dear Doug,

I am requesting for GTP two two-year post-docs out of the stimulus
package to be distributed over the next three years, for a sum, fully
loaded, of roughly 2*2*120 = $480 (this includes some money for a
workstation and travel, and inflation).

The applications of geophysical turbulence to the scientific
priorities of NCAR are numerous and our group has a track record of
how to select successful projects in its annual meeting. We would
prioritize according to several criteria, excellence being one and
nonlinear physics (in the broad sense, and including as well
chemistry, ...) being another one, touching on modeling, numerical
aspects and possibly experimental aspects.

As you well know, we feel that it is time to move forward with
modeling of unresolved small scales and incorporating such models into
the ESM plan for peta-scale and beyond.

We can think of many applications; if we follow the list of seminars
and funds recently distributed in GTP, namely: the turbulent planetary
boundary layer, uncertainty, the pathway to dissipation in the
atmosphere and ocean, eddy-wave interactions in the atmosphere and
ocean, vertical transport by cumulus convection and numerous other
transport properties, canopy turbulence in roughness sub-layers,
collision-coalescence of cloud droplets and
impact on warm rain initiation, signatures of nonlinearity and
multi-scale processes in climate dynamics, convection and ionisation
in the solar convection zone, ...

As far as the post-doc selection is concerned, we would likely rely on
the ASP process with a selction by the GTP council; there could also
be other mechanisms, depending on circumstances (such as timing and
deadlines in general). This would benefit both CISL and ESSL since the
selectees would work either in one of the ESSl division or in my team,
or in conjunction with both as per the suggestion of the advisory
board.It very much depends, of course, on the profiles of the
candidates.

Please let me know if you need any further information.

Annick