[Grad-postdoc-assn] Reminder: Thompson Lecture Series with Dr. Dargan Frierson, Nov 30-Dec 2 -- Schedule, sign up for individual meetings potluck and dinner!

Farshid Nazari fnazari at ucar.edu
Mon Nov 28 13:18:53 MST 2016

Dear NCAR Postdocs,

This Wednesday, we will have three-day activities with Dr. Dargan Frierson,
 an associate professor in the Department of Atmospheric Sciences at the
University of Washington. A more detailed schedule (including opportunities
to sign up for individual meetings) is available on the wiki
<https://wiki.ucar.edu/pages/viewpage.action?spaceKey=aspthompson08&title=Schedule+of+events%2C+Dr.+Dargan+M.+W.+Frierson>
.
Only three slots are still available. Please take this opportunity to learn
from this experienced faculty.  Also, please sign up for the potluck and
the dinner out.

*The main events are listed below:*

*  Wednesday, Nov. 30 (**Foothills*
* Lab) *

   - Breakfast and science+career discussion - 9:00 - 10:30 am, FL2 - 1002
   - Science seminar - 11:00 am - 12:00 pm, FL Main Seminar room
   - Lunch with postdocs - 12:00-1:30 pm, FL Cafeteria
   - Potluck dinner (families welcome!) - 5:30 pm, FL3 atrium (sign up here
   <https://wiki.ucar.edu/display/aspthompson08/Potluck+dinner+with+Dr.+Dargan+M.+W.+Frierson+signup>
   )

*  Thursday, Dec. 1 (Mesa Lab)*

   - General seminar - 11-12, ML Main Seminar room
   - Lunch with postdocs - 12:00-1:30 pm, ML Cafeteria
   - Informal dinner out - 5:30 pm (sign up here
   <https://wiki.ucar.edu/display/aspthompson08/Dr.++Dargan+M.+W.+Frierson+Informal+dinner+out+signup>
   )

*  Friday, Dec. 2 **(**Mesa** Lab)*

   - Breakfast and science+career discussion - 9-10:30 am, ML Damon room

Please don't hesitate to send an email if you have any questions.

Best regards,

Thompson Lecture Committee

Andy Prein, Lisa Kaser, Farshid Nazari, Ying Pan, David Gagne

*Dr. **Frierson**'s* *Bio*

My primary research focus is the effect of water vapor on the global
circulation of the atmosphere. I've studied atmospheric energy fluxes
<http://www.atmos.washington.edu/~dargan/summaries/fhz07.html>, the strength
<http://www.atmos.washington.edu/~dargan/summaries/f07a.html> and width
<http://www.atmos.washington.edu/~dargan/summaries/flc07.html> of the
Hadley circulation, the effect of moisture on midlatitude static stability
<http://www.atmos.washington.edu/~dargan/summaries/fhz06.html>, and the
dynamics of convectively coupled tropical waves
<http://www.atmos.washington.edu/~dargan/summaries/f07b.html>, often in
simplified settings with the goal being a better understanding of how these
phenomena work.

As tools for my research, I utilize everything from coupled climate models
<http://www.atmos.washington.edu/~dargan/summaries/f06.html> and cloud
resolving models
<http://www.atmos.washington.edu/~dargan/summaries/pfghv06.html> to highly
idealized mathematical models (e.g, one-dimensional first baroclinic mode
models of the Walker circulation
<http://www.atmos.washington.edu/~dargan/summaries/fmp04.html>). I
wrote a simplified
moist general circulation model
<http://www.atmos.washington.edu/~dargan/summaries/thesis.html> during my
graduate work at Princeton, which my collaborators and I have used to study
the effect of moisture on midlatitude eddy scales
<http://www.atmos.washington.edu/~dargan/summaries/fhz06.html>, eddy
intensities and the jet stream position
<http://www.atmos.washington.edu/~dargan/summaries/fhz07.html>, the effect
of a hypohydrostatic rescaling
<http://www.atmos.washington.edu/~dargan/summaries/gfhpv07.html> on the
general circulation of the atmosphere, and the role of methane condensation
<http://www.atmos.washington.edu/~dargan/summaries/mpfc06.html> on cloud
formation on Saturn's moon Titan in addition to some of the topics listed
above.

I am greatly interested in applying the theoretical understanding developed
from the simple and intermediate-complexity models to paleoclimate and
global warming scenarios. Recent work
<http://www.washington.edu/news/2013/03/11/remote-clouds-responsible-for-climate-models-glitch-in-tropical-rainfall/>
has
used these simple theories to show a surprising source of the double ITCZ
problem, the most persistent bias of climate models.
--
Farshid Nazari, Ph.D.
ASP Postdoctoral Fellow

National Center for Atmospheric Research (NCAR)

Tel: (303)-497-2481         Email: fnazari at ucar.edu