[Grad-postdoc-assn] Committee service opportunity for postdocs at NCAR

Rebecca Haacker rhaacker at ucar.edu
Fri Nov 18 15:04:12 MST 2016

Hi all,

Carolyn Brinkworth needs two postdocs to serve on the newly formed UCAR
Diversity Committee, please see her emails below. It's a great way to get
involved at the institutional level, make an impact, plus it counts as
leadership on your CV. It is a significant time commitment, though, so
please read the email below and possibly talk to Carolyn to help you
decide.

ASPs, if you're interested, I would count that activity towards your
service requirement. All other postdocs, please check with your hosts on
the time commitment and if you're on grant funding, talk with Carolyn about
how to charge your time for this activity.

Have a great weekend,
Rebecca

Dear Postdocs,

UCAR is about to start work on a new Diversity and Inclusion Strategic Plan
across the whole of UCAR and NCAR, to take steps to increase the
representation of all demographics at our organization, and work on
measuring and improving the workplace culture to ensure that our
institution is safe, welcoming, and supportive for all of us.

As part of this commitment, we are convening a new UCAR Diversity and
Inclusion Strategic Planning Committee that includes representation from
all levels of the organization, and across all labs and UCAR departments.

As postdocs here, you are all uniquely placed to see things that your
managers do not, and to have recommendations for us in how to make UCAR and
NCAR a better place for you to work. Your thoughts and ideas are absolutely
key in making sure that we get this right.

I'm looking for two postdoc volunteers to join the Strategic Planning
Committee, and to act as liaisons between the committee and all the
postdocs in the organization. The time commitment for the committee itself
will be around an hour every 2 weeks in meetings, plus time in between for
gathering input from your colleagues, making suggestions, and helping us
with editing to ensure that we have fully captured your feedback.

If you are interested in getting involved, please email me at
carolyn at ucar.edu. If you want to work on this, but have concerns about your
funding source, please let me know and I'll see what we can do. If there
are more than a couple of volunteers, I would like to create a full postdoc
Working Group so that all of you have a chance to contribute.

If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to contact me to talk
things over.

All the best,
Carolyn

--

Carolyn Brinkworth (she/her/hers)
Director for Diversity, Education & Outreach

303-497-1137

--
All that glitters has a high refractive index

Rebecca Haacker

Director

SOARS Program
UCAR Center for Science Education