[Grad-postdoc-assn] LLNL postdoc job on land-atmosphere-cloud interaction
paulad at ucar.edu
Thu Nov 10 12:24:34 MST 2016
Postdoctoral Research Staff Member - Cloud Processes Research
*Location: *Livermore, CA
*Category: *Post Docs
*Organization: *Physical and Life Sciences
*Posting Requirement: *External Posting
*Job ID: *101235
*Job Code: *Post-Dr Research Staff 1 (PDS.1)
*Science and Technology on a Mission!*
For more than 60 years, the Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL)
has applied science and technology to make the world a safer place.
We have an opening for a Postdoctoral Researcher to work in the area of
investigating the effect of soil moisture and surface heterogeneity on
cloud formation and convection triggering using both ground-based and
satellite observations and large-eddy simulations. This position is in the
Cloud Processes Research group in the Atmospheric, Earth, and Energy
- Conduct original research on the processes governing cloud and convective
responses to different soil moisture and surface heterogeneity conditions.
- Contribute to the conception, design, and execution of research in the
area of land-atmosphere-cloud interaction using both observation and
- Publish research results in technical reports and peer-reviewed journals
and present technical results at scientific conferences.
- Travel as required to coordinate research with collaborators.
- Pursue independent (but complementary) research interests and interact
with a broad spectrum of scientists internally and externally.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Recent PhD in atmospheric science or closely related field.
- Experience conducting research in atmospheric science or closely related
- Experience and expertise in one or more of the following areas: clouds
associated with cumulus convection and their interaction with land surface,
land surface processes and modeling, moist convection thermodynamics, and
boundary layer turbulence.
- Experience with satellite- and/or ground-based observations such as those
collected by NASA and the Atmospheric Radiation Measurement program.
- Experience with large model datasets, modern programming environments,
and visualization techniques.
- Demonstrated fundamental verbal and written communication skills as
evidenced by published results and presentations.
- Experience collaborating effectively with a team of scientists of diverse
backgrounds and ability to travel to coordinate research with collaborators.
*Pre-Employment Drug Test:* External applicant(s) selected for this
position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test.
*Anticipated Clearance Level: * None.
*Note: * This is a two-year Postdoctoral appointment with the possibility
of extension to a maximum of three years. Eligible candidates are recent
PhDs within five years of the month of the degree award at time of hire
Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL), located in the San Francisco
Bay Area (East Bay), is a premier applied science laboratory that is part
of the National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) within the
Department of Energy (DOE). LLNL's mission is strengthening national
security by developing and applying cutting-edge science, technology, and
engineering that respond with vision, quality, integrity, and technical
excellence to scientific issues of national importance. The Laboratory has
a current annual budget of about $1.5 billion, employing approximately
LLNL is an affirmative action/ equal opportunity employer. All qualified
applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to
race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex,
sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition,
protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic
protected by law.
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the Grad-postdoc-assn