[Grad-postdoc-assn] Postdoc Position Lancaster University

Paula Fisher paulad at ucar.edu
Tue May 31 10:08:50 MDT 2016

——
*Post doc position - Environmental Models in the Cloud - Lancaster
University, UK*

An exciting opportunity exists for a research associate position in
computational environmental science, working on a cross-disciplinary
research project investigating the support offered by cloud computing for
the execution of potentially complex environmental models.

For this particular position, we are seeking an expert in the area of
environmental modelling. Ideally you will have experience
of different areas of modelling, as well as a desire to develop
research interests in the computational aspects of the models, including
their cloud execution. Experience of designing simulations for
model experiments would be an advantage. We are also particularly
interested in applicants who are excited by the potential of working at
the interface between disciplines.

This is an area of huge significance, with environmental modelling being
the key tool to evaluate uncertainty, risk assessment,
and mitigation strategies around flood/drought, food security and the
impact of climate change. You would be joining part of a growing team
looking at digital technology and its impact on understanding and managing
the natural environment (with external funding of £3.35m).

Our partners include people in charge of developing CESM
<http://www2.cesm.ucar.edu/> and UKESM
<http://www.jwcrp.org.uk/research-activity/ukesm.asp>, providing an
opportunity to influence the next generation of world-class Earth System
Models, as well as key players involved in floor risk assessment modelling.

*Requirements*: A PhD or equivalent degree in environmental
science/computer science or a closely-related field. You will have a track
record of high-quality publications in areas of relevance to the project
and the willingness to undertake ambitious and challenging research.

*Closing date*: 30 June 2016

*Salary range: *£26,537 to £37,768

*Contact*: Dr Paul Young <paul.j.young at lancaster.ac.uk> (Lancaster
Environment Centre) or Prof Gordon Blair <g.blair at lancaster.ac.uk> (School