[Grad-postdoc-assn] Fwd: Scientists wanted for Girls event, and FutureFest career event at Denver Museum of Nature & Science

Paula Fisher paulad at ucar.edu
Wed Feb 10 15:40:03 MST 2016

FYI

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Carolyn Brinkworth <carolyn at ucar.edu>
Date: Wed, Feb 10, 2016 at 3:13 PM
Subject: Scientists wanted for Girls event, and FutureFest career event at
Denver Museum of Nature & Science
To: ncar-education at ucar.edu

Good afternoon, everyone.

UCAR SciEd is planning to support the Denver Museum of Nature and Science's
Urban Advantage middle-school careers event (FutureFest) on Saturday, May
7th, 9:00am-12:30pm. We are looking for scientists who might be willing to
help out by talking with the kids about careers in science. The FutureFest
celebration will be held at DMNS and is a culmination of a semester long
science initiative funded by NSF. This will be our first year going to this
event, which is specifically targeting students from underserved
communities, and is designed to show the kids what they can do with their
careers, and what big problems they can solve, if they persevere in STEM.
You can find more information at https://www.urbanadvantagedenver.org/. If
you're interested in helping out at the event, for all or part of the time,
please contact Eileen Carpenter (ecarpent at ucar.edu).

We are also planning to support the Girls Exploring STEM (GESTEM) event on
Thursday, May 5th, at the CO Convention Center, in Denver. GESTEM is a free
event for 6th and 7th grade girls in the Denver-metro area geared towards
introducing girls to the career opportunities in STEM fields. Participants
engage with local STEM professionals throughout three hands-on workshops
designed to widen their horizons and introduce STEM careers in a fun and
active environment. 3Once again, please contact Eileen if you are
interested.

Many thanks, all!

Carolyn

--

Carolyn Brinkworth
Director for Diversity, Education & Outreach

303-497-1137

--
All that glitters has a high refractive index