[Grad-postdoc-assn] Fwd: GESTEM workshop leaders needed

Chris Davis cdavis at ucar.edu
Wed Feb 11 19:17:46 MST 2015

-------- Forwarded Message --------
Subject: 	GESTEM workshop leaders needed
Date: 	Wed, 11 Feb 2015 18:01:14 -0700
From: 	Carolyn Brinkworth <carolyn at ucar.edu>
To: 	ncar-education at ucar.edu

Hey folks,

This request through from GESTEM, who are looking for people to lead
50-minute hands-on workshops for girls at their half-day workshop in
Denver on May 8th. If you're interested in getting involved, please let
me know and I'll put folks who are keen in touch with each other so you
can think about working together.

Thanks!
Carolyn

Picture
*Empowering girls by introducing them to *
*the exciting possibilities of STEM careers.*

1000 middle school girls descend on the Colorado Convention Center for a
day of hands-on STEM workshops.  250 volunteers assist as guides and
workshop presenters.  This event is presented 100% by our wonderful
volunteers <http://www.swe-rms.org/volunteers.html>, and made possible
by the generous donations of our sponsors
<http://www.swe-rms.org/sponsorship.html>. *

DATE:* Friday, May 8th 2015
*LOCATION: *Colorado Convention Center in Downtown Denver
*TIME: *8:00am - 2:00pm (times subject to change)

GESTEM is a FREE event for 6th and 7th grade girls in the Denver-metro
area geared towards introducing girls to the career opportunities in
STEM fields. Participants engage with local STEM professionals
throughout three hands-on workshops designed to widen their horizons and
introduce STEM careers in a fun and active environment.

We need nearly 250 volunteers for a successful event - please read below
for more information on how you can help!

/You do NOT need to be female or a STEM professional to volunteer -
anyone who is committed to the education and advancement of young girls
is welcome.

/If you are interested in presenting a workshop at GESTEM 2015, please
complete the google form below. If you have any issue accessing the
form, please email *gestem.presenters at gmail.com*.
<mailto:gestem.presenters at gmail.com>

*_GESTEM 2015 Workshop Application_
<https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1dcp4599v39qiC1bUTZdmNlZtYKeeKlFW1l4fkoZFWQI/viewform?usp=send_form>

**Event Goals:
*

  * Introduce students to STEM in the “real” world
  * Provide interaction with professionals to show STEM careers can be
    fulfilling and fun
  * Help students see a connection between careers and the skills
    learned in STEM classes
  * Introduce networking and mentoring basics
  * Provide an opportunity for local corporations and the community to
    support student success in STEM

To learn more about GESTEM, check out these YouTube videos, with
highlights from last year's event!

      What is GESTEM?: 4 minutes - http://youtu.be/uLyen27Xv9k
      GESTEM Day's Events: 23 minutes - http://youtu.be/UFpdZh37o9c
      Combined Video: http://youtu.be/3tsa8dNiHUQ

/Films were provided by BYCHANCE PRODUCTIONS./
--

Carolyn Brinkworth
Director for Diversity, Education & Outreach

303-497-1137

--
All that glitters has a high refractive index