[Grad-postdoc-assn] postdoc job opening
paulad at ucar.edu
Tue Aug 11 09:41:24 MDT 2015
Please follow the link below to apply online.
Job Opening ID: 100177
Posting Title: Postdoctoral Research Staff Member; Cloud Processes Research
Job Title: Post-Dr Research Staff 1
NATURE AND SCOPE OF JOB
The Cloud Processes Research Group has an opening for a Postdoctoral
Research Staff Member in the area of investigating the effect of soil
moisture and surface heterogeneity on cloud formation and convection
triggering using both ground-based and satellite observations and
large-eddy simulations. The Cloud Processes Research Group is a leader in
the study of cloud processes with activities including their diagnosis with
observations, their parameterization and evaluation in climate models, and
their response to climate change. The Cloud Processes Research Group is
closely connected with the Program for Climate Model Diagnosis and
Intercomparison (http://www-pcmdi.llnl.gov), a world leader in the
diagnosis of climate models and the Atmospheric Radiation Measurement
program that provides exciting and novel ground-based remote sensing
observations of clouds and related processes. Possible research activities
include investigating the moisture recycling process; exploring mechanisms
by which wet/dry soil moisture conditions may favor different convective
regimes; charactering the relationship between surface heterogeneity and
convective triggering; performing large eddy simulation coupled with a land
model to validate and constrain atmospheric or land parameterizations in
regional or global climate models. The postdoctoral researcher will be
expected to work collaboratively with scientists in the Climate Modeling
and Analysis and Cloud Process Research Groups. The selected candidate
will report to the Cloud Processes Research Group Leader.
- Conduct original research on the processes governing cloud and convective
responses to different soil moisture and surface heterogeneity conditions.
- Contribute to the conception, design, and execution of research in the
area of land-atmosphere interaction using both observation and modeling
- Publish research results in technical reports and peer-reviewed journals
and present technical results at scientific conferences.
- Travel as required to coordinate research with collaborators.
- Perform all assignments in accordance with ES&H, security, and business
practice requirements and policies.
ESSENTIAL SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE AND ABILITIES
- Recent PhD in atmospheric science or closely related field.
- Experience conducting research in atmospheric science or closely related
- Experience with large-eddy simulation and expertise in one or more of the
following areas: clouds associated with cumulus convection and their
interaction with land surface, land surface processes and modeling, or
moist convection thermodynamics.
- Experience with large model and observational datasets, modern
programming environments, and visualization techniques.
Experience collaborating effectively with a team of scientists of diverse
- Demonstrated fundamental verbal and written communication skills as
evidenced by published results and presentations.
- Ability to travel to coordinate research with collaborators.
DESIRED SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE, AND ABILITIES
- Experience with cloud microphysics or atmospheric boundary layer
- Experience with performing regional or global climate simulation.
- Familiarity with satellite- and/or ground-based observations such as
those collected by NASA and the Atmospheric Radiation Measurement program.
- Familiarity with programing languages including Fortran, Python, NCL, MPI
or openMP for supercomputing.
NOTE: This is a two year Postdoctoral appointment with the possibility of
extension to a maximum of three years. Eligible candidates are recent PhDs
within five years of the month of the degree award at time of hire date.
Pre-Placement Medical Exam: None required.
Pre-Employment Drug Test: External applicant(s) selected for this position
will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test.
Anticipated Clearance Level: None.
LLNL is an affirmative action/ equal opportunity employer. All qualified
applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to
race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex,
sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition,
protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic
protected by law.
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the Grad-postdoc-assn