[Grad-postdoc-assn] Update: ASP seminar next Wednesday (12 Nov 2014) by Richard Rotunno from NCAR

Hailey Shin hshin at ucar.edu
Wed Nov 5 15:31:16 MST 2014

Several updates:
The seminar will be at 11:00 am, and will be followed by lunch with Rich in
the FL cafeteria.
Feel free to join in!

HI all,

The next ASP seminar by Richard Rotunno from NCAR (MMM division director)
will take place on next Wed. (12 Nov.), at the FL Large Auditorium.

Here are detailed information about his seminar. Hope to see you all there!

Title:
Tornadoes in Observations and Theory

Abstract:
In this talk I will survey some of the basic facts about the size,
intensity and duration of tornadoes. In the last decade or so, major
advances in gathering information on the structure of tornadoes (i.e. how
the wind in the tornado varies with radius and height above the ground) has
come from mobile Doppler radar which can be positioned at close range
(within a few kilometers) to the tornado.  Although there are important
limitations to the mobile-Doppler radar, the database using this technology
 has increased to the point where certain generalizations about tornado
structure are now possible. Perhaps the most import generalization is that
the strongest winds in a tornado are found at the lowest observable level
which is approximately 10 meters off the ground. I will show that this
finding (among others) is consistent with theoretical models and laboratory
data.

Hyeyum Shin,
on behalf of ASP seminar committee.