[Grad-postdoc-assn] ASP seminar next Monday 11am

Yumin Moon ymoon at ucar.edu
Fri May 2 11:57:32 MDT 2014

This is a reminder for the ASP seminar next Monday with Brian Mapes.
It will be at the Mesa Lab seminar room.

Visualization of the weather-climate connection

Brian Mapes, Professor
Meteorology and Physical Oceanography
RSMAS, University of Miami
May 5th, 2014 Monday 11 am

Data visualization is an appealing and fun craft. If done well, it can
support realism in scientific reasoning, for example by layering the
texture of weather and useful indicators of uncertainty (such as an
ensemble of different data products) onto the smooth abstractions of
climate statistics. These days, large time-aggregated archives of many
reanalysis and satellite-observational datasets are available via
OpenDAP. UCAR/Unidata’s free Integrated Data Viewer (IDV) and related
softwares are in good shape to take advantage of these, obviating the
need for downloading and organizing dataset collections. There is just
the small matter of software complexity to contend with. I will show a
few pretty (and scientific) results, and describe my efforts to
salvage lasting value from much obsessive toil behind the scenes by
assembling a newbie-friendly self-updating IDV Plugin, pointing to an
ever-improving Web-hosted collection of templates and other user
resources. I am trying to make it easier to gain the IDV’s great
strength — rich, multi-source data integrations — for myself and my
students, and for others.