[Grad-postdoc-assn] Scientist I position in CGD at NCAR

Paula Fisher paulad at ucar.edu
Mon Jan 13 10:03:05 MST 2014

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: 	[CCSM-participants] Scientist I position in CGD at NCAR
Date: 	Mon, 13 Jan 2014 09:50:55 -0700
From: 	bballard <bballard at ucar.edu>
To: 	ccsm-participants at cgd.ucar.edu

An entry level Scientist I position with 12 month base salary support is
open in the Climate and Global Dynamics Division at the National Center
for Atmospheric Research in Boulder, Colorado.

The successful candidate will be expected to contribute to the CGD
mission "To discover the key processes in each component of the Earth's
climate system and to understand the interactions among them; to
represent this knowledge in community models that effectively utilize
computing advances; and to apply these models and observations to
scientific problems of societal relevance." To fulfill this mission, CGD
encourages and supports a triad of interdependent activities:
fundamental research into atmospheric and climate processes, community
model development, and the application of these models to research the
earth's climate system.

A Scientist I in CGD has the opportunity to develop an independent
research program within the broad guidelines of the CGD strategic plan
and to shape future plans. Research can be either collaborative or
independent but is expected to take advantage of and contribute to NCAR
as a national center. CGD is a center of the Community Earth System
Model, and virtually all its activities and resources directly or
indirectly support CESM either in the immediate or longer term.

An NCAR  Scientist I is roughly equivalent to a university tenure track
Assistant Professor. Appointment to Scientist II (roughly Associate
Professor) is expected sometime within the 5 year Scientist I term,
pending a successful review of scientific productivity and innovation,
contributions to CGD and NCAR programs, community service, and promise
of scientific leadership. The position comes with a share of division
administrative, software engineering, and computing support. Additional
support may by garnered through competitive grants.  Information about
NCAR, CGD, the CGD Strategic Plan, and CESM can be found at
http://www2.cgd.ucar.edu.

Information for Applicants: To apply for this position, visit UCAR Human
Resources (http://tinyurl.com/NCAR-Scientist-I-14057). A Ph.D. or
equivalent experience in atmospheric or related climate science is
required. Applicants should supply a cover letter, a statement of
research interests and how they might contribute to the CGD mission and
strategic plan, a current CV and the names of four potential references.
Initial consideration will be given to applications received prior to
Friday, February 14, 2014.
CGD is a division of NCAR's Earth System Laboratory (NESL). NCAR is a
Federally Funded Research and Development Center (FFRDC) of the National
Science Foundation. NCAR is an Affirmative Action, Equal Opportunity
Employer. Women and minorities are encouraged to apply.