[Grad-postdoc-assn] Fwd: [Ecsa] Seminars on proposal writing and strategies for seeking funding

Paula Fisher paulad at ucar.edu
Tue Apr 22 09:29:07 MDT 2014

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: 	[Ecsa] Seminars on proposal writing and strategies for seeking
funding
Date: 	Tue, 22 Apr 2014 09:28:02 -0600
From: 	rce <rce at ucar.edu>
To: 	ecsa at ucar.edu

Dear All,

        The ECSA has lined up a series of two seminar-discussions on
"proposal writing" and the "search for funding". These topics tackle two
aspects of the same problem and complement each other, proposing a range
of strategies and tools to increase the chances of success when applying
for grants.

We'll start next Monday (April 28th) with Al Cooper talking about
"writing proposals to secure grants".

Please join us for a healthy and productive discussion!!

Cheers,
Rebecca

(on behalf of the ECSA Steering Committee)

Monday April 28th at 1:30pm in FL2-1022 Large Auditorium
Title: Writing Proposals to Secure Grants
William A. Cooper
Senior Scientist Emeritus, NCAR

I will present opinions, developed during a varied research-scientist
career, on what helps a proposal succeed and what advice might be useful
to early-career investigators. My advice is based primarily on my
experience as a program office at the NSF but also from other roles in
my career, including as a university faculty member, an NCAR scientist,
and for almost 10 years a postdoc advisor as director of the Advanced
Study Program. The talk will have three main parts: how to develop the
project idea, how to develop a detailed project design, and how to avoid
common problems when writing the proposal. My comments focus also on
suggested ways to use grants to further your career, how to learn about
grant opportunities, and how to communicate with program officers. I
hope that this talk might be useful to those who expect to seek grants
to fund parts of their research..

Tuesday May 13 at 1.30pm in the ML main seminar room.
Title: Looking for Funding? Take a Strategic Perspective.
Greg Holland

The tactical approach to funding; eagerly scanning the announcements for
something that might work, then repackaging an old proposal to see if it
will fit is clearly not working. Success rates have plummeted in the
past couple of decades, falling as low as 10% in some disciplines. In
this chat and discussion - which will include no overheads - we will
consider how to take a more strategic view, developing relationships and
establishing new directions. While this takes time to get going, in the
long run we shall see it is by far the best approach.