[Grad-postdoc-assn] Thompson Lecture Series with Dr. Geoffrey Vallis - Sign up for meetings and the potluck!

Micah Hahn mhahn at ucar.edu
Tue Nov 5 11:21:47 MST 2013

Hi NCAR Postdocs,

The Thompson Lecture Series (TLS) is coming up on Nov. 20-22 featuring
Dr. Geoffrey Vallis.  You can read more about the TLS and Dr. Vallis
here
<https://wiki.ucar.edu/display/aspthompson08/ASP+Thompson+Lecture+on+Nov+20-22%2C+2013>.
Abstracts for Dr. Vallis's two lectures are below.

In addition to lectures, one of the primary goals of the TLS is to
provide a venue for postdoc / guest meetings and networking. There will
be lots of opportunities for formal meetings and socializing...
*
**Wed, Nov 20*
Lunch with postdocs - 12:30-2pm, ML Cafeteria
5 slots for postdoc meetings
<https://wiki.ucar.edu/display/aspthompson08/Individual+meetings+with+Geoffrey>
- 2-5pm, ML Chapman Room
Potluck dinner with postdocs and their families
<https://wiki.ucar.edu/display/aspthompson08/Potluck+dinner+with+Geoffrey+%28Nov+20%2C+2013%29>
- 5:30pm, ML Damon Room

*Thurs, Nov 21*
Lunch with postdocs - 12:30-2pm, FL Cafeteria
5 slots for postdoc meetings
<https://wiki.ucar.edu/display/aspthompson08/Individual+meetings+with+Geoffrey>
- 2-5pm, FL2 1003
*
**Fri, Nov 22*
Breakfast and science discussion with postdocs - 9-10:30am, South Auditorium
3 slots for postdoc meetings
<https://wiki.ucar.edu/display/aspthompson08/Individual+meetings+with+Geoffrey>
- 10:30am-12pm, South Auditorium

You can sign up for individual meetings and the potluck dinner at the
links provided above. Don't be afraid to sign up just because you think
your science interestsare different than the speaker.  You may find that
they have a breadth ofinterests and can also offer you interesting
insights on your careerdevelopment.

We will send out a couple more reminders as we get closer, but please go
ahead and fill up those slots!  Don't hesitate to drop us an email if
you have any questions.

Best,
Micah

*General Interest Lecture
Wed, Nov. 20th - 11am-12:30pm
ML Main Seminar Room
*

/The Response of the Large-Scale Circulation to Global Warming/

Comprehensive climate models are unanimous in predicting a warming when
greenhouse gases are added. Although there is some disagreement about
the magnitude of the response to the warming, there is much more
disagreement about regional changes in weather and climate. Speaking a
little loosely, one might say that thermodynamic changes seem to be much
more robust than dynamical changes, and this can be ascribed to the
nonlinearity of the equations of motion.

In this talk I will first discuss what the globally averaged temperature
response that will actually result from increased greenhouse gases is
likely to be based on empirical methods. I will then discuss what the
response of the circulation might be, including changes in the height of
the tropopause and shifts in the latitude of the main features of the
circulation.

*
**Science Lecture
Thurs, Nov. 21st - 11-12:30pm
FL2 1022
/
/*/Jets and Superrotation in Idealized Atmospheres/

I will discuss the mechanisms of zonal jets, and in particular of
equatorial superrotation, using very idealized numerical models using
the primitive equations on the sphere. It is well-known that zonal jets
robustly arise in rotating atmospheres there is a wavemaker at a
particular latitude. Rossby waves are then generated that propagate
away, and eastward momentum converging on the source region producing a
zonal jet. Such a mechanism produces the jet stream on Earth and, most
likely, the jets on giant planets including the equatorial
superrotation. However, on slowly rotating terrestrial atmospheres it
seems unlikely that superrotation is produced by that mechanism. Rather,
simulations indicate that, at small thermal Rossby number, a mechanism
involving equatorial Kelvin waves is involved.

--
Micah B. Hahn, PhD, MPH
NCAR | CDC Postdoctoral Research Fellow
mhahn at ucar.edu