[Grad-postdoc-assn] Teaching at a Minority Serving Institution

Paula Fisher paulad at ucar.edu
Thu Jul 18 15:28:05 MDT 2013

Dear NCAR Postdocs,

Would you like to get some teaching experience? ASP is prepared to
support postdocs interested in going to a U.S. Minority Serving
Institution (MSI) to teach and conduct research through the NCAR
Diversity Fund.
Support includes salary, additional/duplicate living expenses, and
travel costs. This could be for a semester, as Shanlin Wang just did at
the University of Texas, El Paso, or for a short course.

NCAR has six MSI partner institutions that are part of a Memorandum of
Agreement to facilitate collaborations.   Those six include:
- Howard University (Washington DC)
- Jackson State University (Jackson, Mississippi)
- Hampton University (Hampton, Virginia)
- North Carolina Agricultural & Technical University (Greensboro, North
Carolina)
- Texas Southern University (Houston, Texas)
- University of Texas, El Paso (El Paso, Texas)

We have already had postdocs go to Howard, Hampton, and the University
of Texas, El Paso, so preference would be for Jackson State, North
Carolina A&T, or Texas Southern University.  However, we can solicit
funds to support you at ANY Minority Serving Institution (Sean Moore
went to the University of New Mexico, Albuquerque).  If you are an ASP
postdoc, we'll "stop the clock" on your fellowship while you teach and
add that time to the end of your term.  If you are not an ASP postdoc,
we'll have to negotiate the terms with your current supervisor.

This opportunity is open to ASP and non-ASP postdocs alike. If you are
interested in pursuing this, and even if it would not be until fall
2014, please let me know as soon as possible.  We'll need to work
together to submit a proposal to the Diversity Committee  sometime in
early September.

Thanks!
Paula