[Grad-postdoc-assn] Fwd: [Cuttingedge] Opportunity to Participate in Observation Study

Paula Fisher paulad at ucar.edu
Tue Dec 18 10:24:08 MST 2012

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: 	[Cuttingedge] Opportunity to Participate in Observation Study
Date: 	Mon, 17 Dec 2012 12:27:31 -0600
From: 	Cathy Manduca <cmanduca at carleton.edu>
To: 	cuttingedge at serc.carleton.edu

Greeting Cutting Edge colleagues -

Today is a great day for opportunities!

On the Cutting Edge is engaged in an observation study of undergraduate
geoscience teaching across the country.  We recently received funding to
expand this study and are now looking for individuals who would like to
become observers and for faculty who would like to have their classes
observed.

We will run the next training session for observers in late January.

Learn more below or visit the website:
http://serc.carleton.edu/NAGTWorkshops/certop/index.html

Cathy Manduca

----------------------------

As part of On the Cutting Edge Professional Development program for
Geoscience Faculty the *_Classroom Observation Project_*
(http://serc.carleton.edu/NAGTWorkshops/certop/) has been collecting
observations of teaching in a cross section of college geoscience
courses across the U.S.

With your help, this project can become the most extensive direct
observation program of college and university teaching in any STEM
discipline. We invite you to participate in this exciting project.There
are two ways that you can be involved, one entails little more than
doing what you do already, while the other provides training in a new
skill that can inform your own teaching.

1) *Willing to be trained as an observer?*
We are also seeking faculty to be trained as observers. Faculty selected
as Observers are expected to complete an online training tutorial and
subsequently make approximately 10 paid observations of geoscience
classes using a standard protocol. Observers will receive a $200 stipend
for each completed observation that contributes to the needed
demographics in our data set. Certified observers will have the option
of participating in data analysis meetings and dissemination of research
results.

2) *Willing to be observed?*
We are seeking geoscience faculty willing to be observed directly or
video-recorded in a range of geoscience courses across the country. In
most cases, the faculty observer will travel to your institution to
observe your class. Each participating instructor is asked to complete a
brief four-question interview with the observer and a short online
survey that helps compare the observation data with the results of the
2009 national geoscience faculty survey.

In return for your participation, you will receive a description of how
different components of your teaching fall on a spectrum ranging from
traditional lecture to student-centered instruction. You will also
receive information about the range of scores in the pool of classrooms
we observe. We hope that it is an opportunity for you to learn more
about your teaching style and that these insights may help you in
achieve your personal teaching goals and, where appropriate, support
efforts to meet or surpass institutional teaching standards.
  If you are interested in either being trained as observer or in having
your class observed, please go to
http://serc.carleton.edu/NAGTWorkshops/certop/participate.html and
complete the short participation form.

Thank you.

Cathryn A. Manduca
Director, Science Education Resource Center
Executive Director, National Association of Geoscience Teachers

Carleton College
1 N College Street
Northfield MN  55057
507 222 7096