[Grad-postdoc-assn] Call for nominations for the next TLS speaker

Alexandra Jahn ajahn at ucar.edu
Mon Apr 25 19:40:05 MDT 2011

Hi everyone,

it is time to collect nominations for the two next Thompson Lecture
Series (TLS) speakers for fall 2011 and spring 2012 (see this link for
details on the TLS:
http://www.asp.ucar.edu/thompson/thompson_lecture.php ). All of you can
nominate a distinguished and established scientist that you think would
be enthusiastic to communicate with postdocs and graduate students.
However, it would be good if their research focus was different from the
previous 3-4 TLS speakers.  For a list of previous speakers, see the
link above.
Nominations can be done though the wiki at
https://wiki.ucar.edu/display/aspthompson08/Nominations+for+fall+2011+and+spring+2012,
which also explains what is needed for a nomination.

We will collect nominations until May 16th, and will have a meeting to
discuss and vote on the nominated speakers on May 25th (a Wednesday)
from 10-12 in the ML cafeteria - please pan to attend this meeting!

In addition, Jasper, Jia, Lulin, and Barbara will end their ASP
appointment this summer, and Alex's appointment will end in early 2012 -
so we really need new postdocs on the TLS committee to ensure the
continuation of the lecture series! It is a great opportunity to
organize the TLS event and to interact with well-known scientists, a
good thing to put on your CV, and it does not take a lot of time, so
please consider joining the committee. All of us currently on the
committee will be happy to answer any questions you might have, so don't
hesitiate to contact us (email addresses below). And if you are just
joining NCAR this summer, please also consider contacting us to join the
committee and to submit nominations.

And finally, if any of you have feedback on the visit of the last TLS
speaker, Gavin Schmidt, please email us your feedback so we can take
these comments into account for the next year (or send comments
anonymously on paper to the ASP office via black bag service).

We are looking forward to many nominations for the next two TLS speakers.
The TLS committee

Alex (ajahn at ucar.edu)
Jasper (jfkok at ucar.edu)
Jia (jyue at ucar.edu)