[Grad-postdoc-assn] Reminder: ASP seminar tomorrow, 11 am in ML

Jasper Kok jfkok at ucar.edu
Tue Sep 7 15:33:42 MDT 2010

Hi all,

This is a reminder for tomorrow's ASP seminar at 11 am in the Mesa Lab's
main seminar room. We'll have refreshments (tea, coffee, fruit, and
cookies) right before the seminar. Jeff Kiehl is a great speaker and the
topic is fascinating, so please plan to attend! (did I mention the free
cookies?)

After the seminar, all grad students and postdocs are invited to join the
speaker for lunch in the Chapman room!

Jasper

> This Wednesday, September 8, at 11 am, Jeff Kiehl will present the
> academic year's first ASP seminar in the Mesa Laboratory main seminar
> room. Tea and coffee will be served before the seminar, and anyone who
> wants to can join the speaker for lunch after the seminar in the Chapman
> room. Please plan to attend!
>
> Title: Temporal Characteristics of Earth's Climate System
>
> Abstract: Earth's climate system shows rich temporal variability on a wide
> rang of time scales. The characteristics of this behavior are a result of
> the how the climate system is externally forced and also the feedbacks
> operating within the system. In this presentation, we will look at how
> Earth's climate system has evolved over time and how processes working on
> multiple time scales have affected the temporal evolution of Earth¹s
> climate. We will consider how changes in Earth's physical system are
> interdependent with Earth's biosphere. We will also consider how feedbacks
> that have operated in Earth's past may play an important role in
> determining the future evolution of Earth's climate. Case examples for
> specific periods in Earth's past will be provided to indicate how feedback
> processes have amplified climate change.

Postdoctoral Fellow
Advanced Study Program
Boulder, CO, 80305, USA
Phone: 734.709.2513