[Grad-postdoc-assn] TLS election results

Simona Bordoni bordoni at ucar.edu
Mon Jan 26 22:39:50 MST 2009

Hi everybody,

as you know, last Friday we had a Social to rank nominees
for the two 2009 Thompson Lectures. We had a total of 8
nominees: Eugene Parker, William Kustas, Jim Hansen, John
Seinfeld, Mario Molina, Jean-Dominique Creutin, Eve
Gruntfest and Joe Pedlosky. After discussion about each
nominee's accomplishments, research expertise and breath,
and possible overlaps with recent Thompson Lectures, we
agreed that all candidates met the eligibility criteria
and proceeded with the voting. Because of his overlap with
previous speakers, we considered Jim Hansen ineligible for
Spring 2009, but still eligible for Fall 2009.

The 1st vote recipients for Spring and Fall 2009 were,
respectively, Parker and Seinfeld. We also voted for two
possible "back-ups", with Creutin and Gruntfest collecting
the majority of votes. The vote tallies were:

1st round: Spring 2009
===============
Parker : 9
Gruntfest : 2
Kustas : 1
Seinfeld : 1

2n round: Fall 2009
===============
Seinfeld : 5
Creutin : 3
Petlosky : 2
Gruntfest : 1
Hansen : 1
Molina : 1

3rd round: back-ups
===============
Creutin : 8
Gruntfest : 5
Hansen : 4
Petlosky : 3
Molina : 2

Also, we have two new members in the TLS committee: Hannah
Brenkert-Smith and Ethan Gutmann!

Thanks to all of you who have contributed to the
 nomination and voting process!
Simona

---
Simona Bordoni