[Grad-postdoc-assn] nominees for Thompson Lecture Series

Simona Bordoni bordoni at ucar.edu
Fri Jan 2 02:19:38 MST 2009

Dear All,

Happy New Year!

The Thompson Lecture Series Committee is soliciting
nominees for the next TWO Thompson Lecturers.
For more on the TLS and previous lectures, please go to
the following web page:
http://www.asp.ucar.edu/thompson/thompson_lecture.php

All postdoc and graduate students at NCAR are invited to
submit one or more nominees for the upcoming 2009 TLS.
Please note that we will be selecting speakers for the
next two lecturers (spring and fall 2009). More than ever,
this year we want to make sure that the lecturers'
scientific interests are significantly different than
those of the 3 or 4 past lecturers, so your input is
extremely valuable!

The process is as follow:
1 ) you submit the nomination to the wiki at
https://www.wiki.ucar.edu/display/aspthompson08/Home
under “2009 Nominations".
Please, refer to the attached memo "Thompson Lecture
Guidance (from Director)" before nominating someone.
The deadline for nominations is Tuesday January 20 2009.

2) We all meet for the ASP social for January, on Friday
January 23 at 2:30pm in CG room  3131.
ICE-CREAM and cold beverages will be provided!!
During the social, we discuss the nominees and then rank
them by a secret voting process.
If you are unable to attend the social, you may cast your
vote by emails to the committee no later than 12 NOON
Friday January 23.

3) After the selection process during the ASP social, we
(TLS committee) present the ranking to Maura for approval.

Please, peruse the website (link above) and read the
attached memo from Maura before submitting a nomination.
Once you've settled on a nominee, please follow the
guidelines below for submitting your nomination.

Technical guidelines for nomination:  Please submit the
name and a short description of your nominee.  Short means
4-5 sentences, and should include things such as the
nominee's research interests, current and past positions,
outstanding accomplishments to the field and any personal
insight you may have into the nominee that makes him/her
an exceptional candidate. You are encouraged to provide a
link to your nominee's website. Nominations by both
individuals
and groups of people are welcome.

We hope you take this opportunity to take an active role
in selecting the next two Thompson Lecturers and we thank
you for your participation.

Feel free to email if you have any questions!
The Thompson Lecture Series Committee

Simona Bordoni (bordoni at ucar.edu)
Mark Flanner (mflanner at ucar.edu)
Song-Lak Kang (songlak at ucar.edu)