[Grad-postdoc-assn] Girl Scout Event at NCAR - May 17th

phillitr phillitr at ucar.edu
Wed Mar 26 09:48:09 MDT 2008

Hello Graduates and Postdocs of NCAR,

   I am a graduate at CU but conducting research at NCAR with John
Gille.  Twice a year, once in the Fall and Spring, NCAR hosts an event
for the local Girl Scouts.  I, along with Rebecca Centeno-Elliott (ext.
1581, rce at ucar.edu) are coordinating the event this year.  The goal of
this event is to kindle the love of science in young ladies through a
day full of fun experiments, including seeing a live weather balloon
launch.  There have been announcements in Today at UCAR daily newsletters,
an example is below.  I am recruiting volunteers and was hoping those on
this e-mail this would be willing to help out this year.  It really
straight forward and the girls are a alot of fun.

Example Announcement:
We are looking for volunteers to be a part of the next Girl Scouts at
NCAR event, which will take place at the Mesa Lab on Saturday, May 17,
2008, from 9:00 AM to 4:00 PM. The theme of the event is "Climate and
Weather, The Two Go Together". It is designed to introduce young women
to the atmospheric sciences and to help them develop a positive
attitude toward science through hands-on activities and interaction
with some of NCAR's staff and scientists.

Volunteers are a crucial part of this event, and play an active role
leading demonstrations, assisting with activities, and talking with
the girls about how they became interested in science and math and why
they enjoy working at NCAR.

Please consider participating in the event!

For more information, please contact me using this e-mail or feel free
to call me, ext. 1854.

Thank you,
Tanya Phillips