[Grad-postdoc-assn] [Fwd: career opportunity from Frode Stordal]

Paula Fisher paulad at ucar.edu
Wed Jul 9 15:28:10 MDT 2008

Here is an opportunity that may be of interest.

Paula

____________________________________
Subject: Physics and chemistry climate modeling in Oslo

Section for Meteorology and Oceanography (MetOs,
http://www.geo.uio.no/english/metos/) at the Department of Geosciences,
University of Oslo, is now recruiting postdoctoral fellows and PhD
students to work with atmospheric physics and chemistry in atmospheric
climate modelling.

MetOs is part of the Oslo Centre for Interdisciplinary Environmental and
Social Research – CIENS, which is a strategic research collaboration
between independent research institutes and the University of Oslo. The
centre is built on co-operation on research and information projects,
and the consolidation of about 500 researchers under a single roof in
new offices in the Oslo Innovation Center, located at the outskirt of
the University of Oslo main campus at Blindern.

MetOs has a several years record of working with aerosols and cloud
physics in the Community Atmosphere Model (CAM) developed at the
National Center for Atmospheric Research (NCAR). Recently we have
started work on tropospheric chemistry in CAM and stratospheric
chemistry in the Whole-Atmosphere Community Climate Model (WACCM).
Within CIENS we collaborate on CAM based climate modelling with the
Research Division of the Norwegian Meteorological Institute (met.no),
Center for International Climate and Environmental Research –Oslo
(CICERO) and Norwegian Institute for Air Research (NILU). We have
recently initiated a CIENS Forum for collaboration on CAM modelling
engaging some 10 young researchers, postdoctoral fellows and PhD
students plus additional senior staff members. We also work with the
Bjerknes Centre for Climate Research in Bergen to develop a global
climate model that will be used to produce climate scenario projections
for the next IPCC Assessment Report, and in a longer perspective to
develop a Norwegian Earth System Model.

MetOs employs 4 full professors in meteorology, covering the fields of
atmospheric physics, chemistry and dynamics. In addition there are 3
adjunct part time professors. The group also hosts a Strategic Research
Initiative at the Department of Geosciences, focusing on "Water as
regulator in biogeochemical cycles".

Currently two positions are open, with closing date July 6th:

1) A Ph.D. scholarship in the field Climate-Biosphere interactions:
http://www.admin.uio.no/opa/ledige-stillinger/2008/vit/Ph.DAtmosphere-BiosphereInterac-08-10134.html

2) A postdoc position in aerosol-cloud-water vapour interactions:
http://www.admin.uio.no/opa/ledige-stillinger/2008/adm/PostdocAtmosphericSciences-08-10132.html

For questions, please contact one of the professors Frode Stordal
(frode.stordal at geo.uio.no), Jon Egill Kristjansson
(j.e.kristjansson at geo.uio.no) or Terje Berntsen (t.k.berntsen at geo.uio.no).

Relevant links:
MetOs: http://www.geo.uio.no/english/metos/