[Grad-postdoc-assn] Fwd: Career Basics: A Collection of the Best Career Advice and Resources from Science Careers

Scott Briggs sbriggs at ucar.edu
Thu Dec 18 12:04:54 MST 2008

FYI

Greetings,
I write to introduce you to a new publication of AAAS/Science.

Career Basics, the 2009 Edition is a collection of the best advice and
resources from Science Careers .

You can get the whole publication or specific chapters as PDFs at http://sciencecareers.sciencemag.org/careerbasicspdf

The Table of Contents
Introduction  by Dr. Alan Leshner, CEO, AAAS

Chapter One:  Finding Your Way Mastering Your Ph.D.
Mentors, Leadership, and Community
Mastering Your Ph.D.
Preparing for Your Post-Ph.D. Career
Grad-School Campus Visits

Chapter Two: Marketing Yourself
CVs, Resumes, and Networking
Résumé Rocket Science
Writing a Winning Cover Letter
E-Persona Non Grata
Strategizing Your Online Persona

Chapter Three: Skills for the Academic Scientist
Tips for Publishing in Scientific Journals
Faculty Positions
Seeking the Skills for a Successful Career in Academia

Chapter Four: Crafting a Industry Career
Three Categories of Rules
Transferable Skills And Portable Careers
More School?

Chapter Five: Non-Traditional Careers
A Matter of Policy
Working as a Medical Writer
A Career in Management Consulting

Chapter Six: Diversity Issues in Science
Family Trailblazers
Nurturing Women Scientists
Opening Doors for Scientists with Disabilities

Chapter Seven: Leadership and Lab Management
Making the Leap to Independence
Managing Scientists

More Resources: More Career-Related Resources
Career-related resources from Science /AAAS and other organizations.

If you are planning an event on science careers on your campus or in
your work place - - let us know and we can provide bulk copies of the
Career Basics booklet for you to share with participants.

Best wishes,

Ric

Richard A. Weibl, Director
Center for Careers in Science and Technology
American Association for the Advancement of Science
1200 New York Avenue, NW
Washington, DC  20005-3920
Phone:  202/326-6674
Fax:      202/371-9849
e-mail:  rweibl at aaas.org
www.aaas.org/careercenter/

AAAS -  We've got CAREERS Down to a SCIENCE

AAAS Annual Meeting
February 12-16, 2009
Chicago IL USA
http://www.aaas.org/meetings/