[Grad-postdoc-assn] ASP Seminar TODAY

Gabriele Pfister pfister at ucar.edu
Wed May 31 08:43:55 MDT 2006

============================
ASP Seminar Series

SPEAKER:  Pieter Tans, Earth System Research Laboratory, NOAA Boulder
TITLE:        Acceleration of the rate of growth of atmospheric
carbon dioxide
WHEN:       Wednesday, May 31st,  2006 at 11 a.m. (refreshments
beforehand)
WHERE:     Foothills Laboratory, FL2, Room 1022

ABSTRACT:
When Dave Keeling started continuous measurements of CO2 on Mauna Loa
in 1958 the observed mean growth rate for 1959 through 1963 was
approximately 0.76 ppm/year, while the average rate of fossil fuel
consumption was 2.5 GtC (billion metric tons of carbon)/year. The
mean growth rate for 2001 through 2005 is 2.1 ppm/year, and a
preliminary estimate for the rate of fossil fuel burning is 7.3 GtC/
year. It appears that over several decades the atmospheric increase
maintains an almost constant proportion to the rate of fossil fuel
burning, except during the early 1990s. This is actually surprising
given what we expect the ocean response to the historical atmospheric
CO2 increase to be.
We have compiled a second growth rate estimate based on global marine
air data since 1980. Mauna Loa tracks the global rate well. One
standard deviation of the differences between the two is 0.26 ppm/
year. There is considerable year-to-year variation in the atmospheric
increase measured at Mauna Loa, with a standard deviation of 0.46 ppm/
year relative to the long-term trend. The interannual variation is
visibly related to global temperature anomalies. We have constructed
from the data a delayed response curve of the CO2 growth rate to
temperature. The response changes sign at a delay of about 0.5 year.
We could not detect a response to other global or regional climate
anomalies such as precipitation. Subtraction of the calculated
response of CO2 to temperature anomalies significantly decreases the
“unexplained” part of the interannual variation of the CO2 growth rate.